Look into the lives of today's kids and you'll see interesting facts that are a reflection of their native culture. Here are 20 of them:
1. Hybrid automobiles have always been mass produced.
2. They have never licked a postage stamp.
3. Email is "formal" communication, while texts and tweets are "casual" communication.
4. They have grown up treating Wi-Fi as an entitlement.
5. The announcement of someone being the "first woman" to hold a position has only impressed their parents.
6. Cell phones have become so ubiquitous in class that teachers don't know which students are using them to take notes and which ones are planning a party.
7. Their parents have gone from encouraging them to use the Internet to begging them to get off it.
8. If you say "around the turn of the century," they may well ask you, "which one?"
9. They have avidly joined Harry Potter as they built their reading skills through all seven volumes.
10. The therapeutic use of marijuana has always been legal in a growing number of American states.
11. The eyes of Texas have never looked upon The Houston Oilers.
12. Teachers have always had to insist that term papers employ sources in addition to those found online.
13. Playhouse Disney was a place where they could play growing up.
14. Surgeons have always used "super glue" in the operating room.
15. The Lion King has always been on Broadway.
16. First Responders have always been heroes.
17. CNN has always been available en Español.
18. TV has always been in such high definition that they could see the pores of actors and the grimaces of quarterbacks.
19. Mr. Jones and Mr. Smith have always been Men in Black, not their next-door neighbors.
20. Amoco gas stations have steadily vanished from the American highway.
This list came from Beloit College.
Dale Hudson has been in Children's Ministry for over 25 years. He is the director of children's ministry at Christ Fellowship Church in Palm Beach, Florida. Christ Fellowship has nine campuses and ministers to over 22,000 people on weekends. Dale leads a Children's Ministry staff team of over 50 and a volunteer team of over 2,600.
Leaders are readers! Subscribe now and get 3 magazines for the price of 1. Get Ministry Today, Charisma and SpiritLed Woman all for $24. YES - I'm a leader!
Ministry Today Subscription Special - Subscribe to Ministry Today magazine today and get 12 issues (2 full years) plus Amplified Leadership, a free leadership book for only $24.