As a Christian evangelist in the healing ministry, I certainly don't have all the answers. I am a human being and still fallible. However, in light of my experiences as a leader for many years now, I want to share some basic qualities which I believe will help anyone become a respected and sought-after leader.
1. Work hard but be flexible. There are no overnight success stories! We must not be rigid in our thinking but learn how to bend like the trees in the wind so that God can use us.
We must be adaptive to change and to new ideas and ways of doing things, instant in season and out, as Scripture says in 2 Timothy 4:2.
Challenges will come, and we must have a positive attitude and learn to endure hardships when they come as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. As leaders, we must develop a doubly-thick skin.
2. A good leader must learn how to roll the burden of decision making over onto the Lord. We cannot make decisions from our fleshly nature because people can be hurt in the process. Examine each decision in light of God's Word and your past successes/failures, pray about them and delegate authority when needed.
3. A successful leader cannot become enamored with him/herself. They're not a superstar, nor do they need an entourage of people running after them or hanging on to them. A good leader serves; he/she doesn't expect to be served. My grandmother, Claudius Priscilla Roberts, would say to my father, who would then say to me, "Stay little in your own eyes and obey God, and you will bless the world." Let God be the superstar that He is.
4. Christian leader should be accountable and responsible for their words and actions. He/she should be able to prove what they say by Scripture.
Don't be intimidated by someone who may disagree with you, but allow other godly persons to speak into your life.
Don't let pride get in the way. People want what's genuine, the "real deal." They've seen and heard all the phony and insincere. Jesus was genuine, and so were His disciples.
5. Never underestimate the intelligence of Satan. "Lest Satan should take advantage of us, for we should not be ignorant of his devices" (2 Cor. 2:11). He knows where we are vulnerable or have a weakness, and he will attack in that area. A glorious mountaintop experience with the Lord will not keep the devil from coming against you. But thank God, we have the Holy Spirit, and He helps plug that hole where the weakness is.
Here are some basic rules to help cultivate the above attributes:
— Receive a daily intake of the Word of God. We give out every day, and we have to have God's Word refilling and refreshing our spirits.
— Pray. Prayer changes things, and it brings us before God and His mercy (see Ps. 100:4). Praying in the Spirit, or in tongues, is our supernatural communication system with God and one of our most effective tools.
— Self-examine yourself from time to time and make attitude adjustments (when needed) along the way. Reevaluate your priorities and always make time for your family. They should be at the top of the list. What value is there in winning the world but losing your family?
I believe that incorporating these principles into your daily walk with God will not only help you become a good Christian leader but a great one.
Richard Roberts, D. Min., is chief executive officer of Oral Roberts Ministries and co-hosts with his wife, Lindsay, a daily inspirational TV program, The Place for Miracles. Dr. Roberts is also the founder of the Richard Roberts School of Miracles, hosting thousands of online students from more than 140 countries. Richard conducts healing meetings throughout America, as well as ministers to and teaches pastors in underdeveloped countries the fundamental principles of healing, seed-faith and the Holy Spirit, so they may do the greater works of Jesus in their regions of the world.
Read articles like this one and other Spirit-led content in our new platform, CHARISMA PLUS.
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.
Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.
Charisma Leader — Serving and empowering church leaders