I recently looked at my file of church guest "exit interviews." These files originated when I did a lot of church consulting, but it also includes some recent consults.
In essence, my team asked guests to attend a worship service on the same day to get their immediate impressions of the church. Among those who had a positive experience, we heard a pattern of recurring themes. Here are the top 10 responses in order of frequency. Each item is followed by a direct quote from a guest:
1. People introduced themselves to the guests. "Several people introduced themselves to me. I did not get the impression it was either contrived or routine."
2. Someone asked the guest to sit with her. "You know, as a single person, I can feel pretty lonely sitting by myself. I am so glad Joanie asked me to sit with her. We plan to get together for coffee."
3. There was clear signage. "From the parking lot to the children's area to the worship center, everything was clearly marked. It was sure easy to get around."
4. There was a clearly marked welcome center. "It made it real easy for me to ask questions and to get some information on the church."
5. The kids loved the children's area. "My kids were so happy with their experiences. We will be back for sure."
6. The children's area was secure and sanitary. "That is one of the first things I check when I go to a church. This church gets an A+!"
7. Guest parking was clearly visible. "From the moment we drove on the parking lot, I could find the guest parking. It was marked very well."
8. The church did not have a stand and greet time. "My wife and I just moved to the area and are visiting churches. If we visit one with that fake stand and greet time, we don't return."
9. The members were not pushy. "They seemed to really care about us rather than just making us another number on the membership roll."
10. The guest card was simple to complete. "Some of the cards in other churches ask for too much information. This one was perfect and simple."
A happy guest will likely be a returning guest. A returning guest is more likely to become a part of the church.
How does your church treat its guests? Let me hear from you.
Thom S. Rainer is the president of LifeWay Christian Resources. For the original article, visit thomrainer.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.