Trey Hildebrant is our newest campus pastor at 12Stone® Church. We prayed over Trey and his wife Sara at the Snellville, Georgia, campus as he officially stepped up to lead on June 7.
Several of our campus pastors and I met with Trey for breakfast at J. Christopher's for great food and great conversation. Our purpose was to have each of the campus pastors share their best leadership and ministry practices as a campus pastor with Trey.
It was so good we were all taking notes. Here is a summary of our notes:
1. Lead with spiritual intensity.
- It's important to live out your personal spiritual intensity Monday through Saturday. You can't fix on Sunday what you haven't lived all week!
- Pray with people on Sunday morning. Take the time right then!
- If you don't preach, learn to take your 30-minute message ideas (that the Lord gives you) to a 3-minute message that you give to staff, volunteers etc...in the moment. Communicate God's power in ways other than the "sermon".
3. Lead with courage. Moral authority comes from a close walk with God.
4. Take pics of the people who attend your campus, learn their names and pray for them. Have a volunteer photographer take shots as well. The photographer can simply say: "Pastor wants to pray for you by name."
5. Celebrate the wins of your staff. Be your staff's best champion.
6. If you are type A and driven, be careful not to focus more on tasks than people.
7. Deal with your own stuff before you get on stage ... (Self-confidence, pride, fear, insecurity, self-awareness, etc.; it's about the people not you.)
8. You are the leader of momentum. It's important to communicate "This place is the BEST place to be." You have to believe it for it to find its way into people's hearts.
9. How do you shepherd your spouse so they feel completely part of the ministry and connected to you at a heart level within both marriage and ministry?
- Never assign your spouse a ministry; let your spouse pick their own ministry.
- Encourage your spouse not to over-commit.
- Protect margin for family time and be intentional about it. Do everything possible to make your family number one all week so that when the crazy days hit they understand.
- Take time as a couple, even just once a month for 30 minutes for big picture planning, so your spouse knows what's coming!
10. Be the creator, carrier and champion of FUN at the campus. The CP sets the temperature for fun at the campus.
11. Remember that your key leaders need to be pastored too. Ask them questions about their marriage, walk with God and personal life.
12. Keep your comments live and real as a CP on the stage. It's not all about a script. Be personal. In 20-30 seconds, you can add heart through a personal comment.
13. Be passionate about all that is new. New leaders, new visitors, new volunteers, etc ... Look for God moments in the lobby between, before and after services!! God is present, what is He doing?
14. Love your people.
Dan Reiland is the executive pastor at 12Stone Church in Lawrenceville, Georgia. He previously partnered with John Maxwell for 20 years, first as Executive Pastor at Skyline Wesleyan Church in San Diego, then as Vice President of Leadership and Church Development at INJOY.
For the original article, visit danreiland.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.