1. Don’t do it. It still amazes me how many people think money is the answer to church growth, especially in the context of church planting. By deciding not to follow through with your idea, not only will you save money, you’ll save time and avoid headaches too. Still convinced you want to do it? Read on ...
2. Hand-write invitations. You’d be surprised at the remarkable
results this often brings. New businesses have used this inexpensive
and highly targeted approach; it may work for you too.
3. Go to where the people are (online and off-line). Don’t rely on direct mail and other mass-marketing to get the job done for you. The most effective way to reach people is to go to them. If you’re targeting business folk, get in touch with friends who work in larger companies and do lunch together in the big lunchroom or cafeteria. Then “work” the crowds (elevators, lunch room, etc.). If you’re looking for the college crowd, do the same thing there. Don’t be all about getting people to church on the weekend; be all about being with people.
4. Create remarkable experiences. Instead of trying to get people talking, focus more on what you’re getting people talking about. People don’t talk about something because you ask them to; they talk about something because they want to. Do they want to talk about you and what you’re doing?
5. Set up a projector on the side of a huge building. Get permission from the owners of a large building close to a road with a lot of traffic. Rent a projector with powerful lumens. Set it up at night and project it on to the wall of the building.
6. Use existing messaging pieces from others and apply them to your context. If something is working for someone else, see if it can work for you. Start small. Test it. Don’t copy. Don’t tweak million-dollar ad campaigns and make them sound churchy.
Brad Abare is the director of communications for the Foursquare denomination, founder of the Center for Church Communication, and president of Personality, a communication and marketing consultancy.
Need more ideas for communicating your church’s vision? Check out the Center for Church Communication’s Church Marketing Lab, a free open-source resource.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.