Since worship is such an integral part of the church, it is important that worship leaders be spiritually mature in order to be effective.
The following are traits these worship leaders should possess:
1. They are true worshippers in private. True worship leaders are effective because their public worship is an overflow of their deep private worship. They are able to help bring the congregation into deep worship because it is already something they walk in
2. They don't always need the spotlight. Mature worship leaders allow other singers and musicians to be highlighted. They do not need to be the center of attention all the time. They celebrate other people's anointing and abilities on their team.
3. They pursue excellence with their team. Mature worship leaders understand that it takes much practice to exhibit a spirit of excellence. They understand that you just cannot show up without preparation to usher in the presence of God.
4. They are filled with the Scriptures not just the Spirit. God desires worshippers to worship Him in spirit and in truth (John 4:23-24). Hence, it is important that worship leaders be filled with the Scriptures so that their worship is based upon truth and not just subjective experience. When we speak to ourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs we will engender the filling of the spirit in others (Eph. 5:19).
5. They are able to teach others the art of godly worship. Effective worship leaders develop other worship leaders and other worship teams. They understand their greatest call is to make disciples and to freely share what Jesus has given them.
6. They build their life upon godly character not on their talent. Mature worship leaders never build their life upon their gifts and talents. They understand that their ability to sing or play an instrument will only go as far as their godly character will take them.
7. They are not hirelings but serve as unto the Lord based on His will. Many folks in the worship industry (not most by any means) serve in a church for financial payment. Mature worship leaders serve one local church (unless they have a traveling ministry) and, although some may receive a salary—they do it based on God's leading not on financial reward.
8. They are sensitive to the move of the Spirit in the service. Effective worship leaders understand the ebb and flow of the moves of God in the service. They do not just perform. They even wait upon the Lord in silence if need be to give God space to operate and speak to the people.
9. They are not egomaniacs but submit to spiritual authority. Mature worship leaders understand that they are submitted to the leadership of their church. In many churches the senior pastor is known as the worship leader even if he or she never sings. This is to point to the fact that they have the final say in regards to the flow of the service—not the worship leader
10. They point their team to the vision of the church. Effective worship leaders do not draw disciples after themselves. They always point their team to the vision of the house and to the Lordship of Christ.
Joseph Mattera is overseeing bishop of Resurrection Church and Christ Covenant Coalition, in Brooklyn, New York, and author of numerous books, including Ruling in the Gates: Preparing the Church to Transform Cities. Follow him on Facebook or visit him online at josephmattera.org.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.