In fact, I wrote a whole book about using social media to spread the gospel and I wrote it to lay a foundation.
Today, I'm shooting from the hip and offering some practical, do-able tips for using social media on the ground. These are based on my observations of what I've seen work, what I've seen done poorly, and what I believe is on the horizon.
1. Keep the gospel central. Never before in history has the opportunity been so wide open to take it further and faster to the ends of the earth—at least the 3 billion who use the Internet.
2. Define the why. Don't just engage because it's cool. Engage because it matters. For eternity.
3. Define the who. Who are your audiences (and you will have more than one)?
4. Determine your strategy. Don't try to do everything, but definitely don't do nothing (I know...).
5. Value communications and creativity. It's not a little thing on the side. Everything you do is communications.
6. Start. Sign up for Twitter and stop making fun of it.
7. Download my slightly dated (2011) e-book Twitter for Ministry for free.
8. Follow people you want to learn from.
9. Follow people you want to connect with.
10. Tweet links and pithy quotes, not angry rants.
11. Respond. Mention others. Engage in conversations.
12. Don't follow the non-people you can't learn from or connect with—it's a spammy world out there.
13. Have a good website.
14. Make your good website more findable.
16. Improve your blogging. After you've started, start improving it.
18. When something works, do more of it. When something falls flat, do less of that.
19. Be way more personal and slightly less professional, without doing anything stupid that would jeopardize your brand.
20. Use Facebook events. It's extremely powerful because friends invite other friends.
21. Use Facebook ads, and learn to target well. You can target by age, relationship status, location, interests and connections.
22. Stop inviting me to play games about solving crimes, building farms, and crushing candy.
23. Make videos. Too self-conscious? Get over yourself and do it anyway. Social video is the future.
24. Use Instagram. Teens use Facebook, but they really use Instagram. It's also the future.
25. Think mobile. Never design a website or produce content that can't be easily viewed and shared from someone's palm.
26. Like, Favorite, Re-pin, Re-blog, and pass along good stuff from others to others. Generosity is core!
27. Use #hashtags but don't over-do it. And have a hashtag for your organization, like #ghills.
28. Empower the people—give your members and constituents things they'll gladly share, like pretty graphics.
29. Use Facebook groups for small groups, volunteer teams, interest-based groups, etc. Groups are powerful.
30. Do good. Change the world.
Come on—add something below. What's your best short tip? What's working for you? What did you do that blew up and blew your mind with its results?
Brandon Cox has been a pastor for 15 years and is currently planting a church in northwest Arkansas, a Saddleback-sponsored church. He also serves as editor of pastors.com and Rick Warren's Pastors' Toolbox, and authors a top 100 blog for church leaders. He's also the author of Rewired: Using Technology to Share God's Love.
For the original article, visit pastors.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.