I just received a letter from a delightful lady. She was a member of a church where I was ordained in the ministry. What I remember most about her was the way she offered encouragement to the pastors of that church.
The letter reminded me of so many good laypersons that served sacrificially in churches where I have been. With that in mind, I asked several pastors to recall something very positive said to them by church members. I asked them to try to summarize it in one sentence. Though I shouldn’t be surprised, each of the pastors did not hesitate to offer one “joyful sentence.”
Here are the 14 I’ve accumulated thus far. They are only in the order I received them and wrote them on my iPhone.
- “I would like to babysit your kids so you can go on a date with your wife.”
- “Pastor, let me tell you specifically what I learned from your sermon and how it helped me.”
- “Your wife should have the freedom to be herself in the church.”
- “I confronted your critic about those unfounded claims he made about you.”
- “I’m setting aside five minutes every day to pray for you and your family.”
- “I explained to the personnel committee how a package is not the same as your salary.”
- “Your kids should be able to live a normal life.”
- “Thank you.”
- “I want to help you recruit people to do ministry.”
- “I am so thankful for the time you spend in sermon preparation.”
- “We don’t expect you to attend every meeting or function.”
- “Let me do that for you.”
- “Tell me how I can most help your wife.”
- “Here is a gift card to get you some books for your library.”
Yes, ministry is tough. Yes, we run into some difficult people more often than we like. But the reality is there are so many good people, so many good church members. These are but a few of the reminders of how pastors have been blessed by those church members.
What would you add to this list?
Thom S. Rainer is president of LifeWay Christian Resources. For the original article, visit thomrainer.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.