I have great news for you today: God has given you an amazing, supernatural, empowering, life-altering gift that you don't want to live another moment without. This powerful gift is a game-changer on every level. What is it, you ask? It's praying in tongues!
I get so excited when talking about praying in tongues! It changed my life and it can change yours too—for the better. I want you to know about this wonderful gift of power from God and get excited about it. You do not want to go another day without these supernatural benefits. Here are six ways that praying in tongues can benefit you:
- Equips you with power. When Jesus appeared to His disciples after He was risen from the tomb, the main thing He wanted them to know about was the baptism of the Holy Spirit. He said, I am sending the promise of My Father upon you. But wait in the city of Jerusalem until you are clothed with power from on high" (Luke 24:49).That same power is available to all believers today! If there's anything you and I need in these last days, it's God's power, equipping us for every challenge.
- Reveals things to you. The Holy Spirit's main ministry to us as believers is revelation, revealing God's will to us. Paul said, "Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor has it entered into the heart of man the things which God has prepared for those who love Him. But God has revealed them to us by His Spirit" (1 Cor. 2:9-10). We can know what God has prepared for us by praying in the Spirit.
- Charges you up. Jude 20 say we can "build ourselves up" by praying in the Spirit, and 1 Corinthians 14:4a says, "He who speaks in an unknown tongue edifies himself." It's like recharging your cell phone when it runs out of juice. We all know what it feels like to run out of juice. We get tired and run down, physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. Thank God we can recharge and tap into all of His power, strength, peace, joy and rest by praying in other tongues.
- Gives you a hotline to God. When you pray in tongues, no one understands it except God. You're talking right to Him; nothing is intercepting or scrambling the conversation. First Corinthians 14:2 says, "For he who speaks in an unknown tongue does not speak to men, but to God. For no one understands him, although in the spirit, he speaks mysteries." The future is a mystery to us, right? But when you pray in tongues, you're talking right to God, and He knows the future. When we pray in tongues, we're praying out the future, so that by the time we get there, many things have already been set up for us.
- Helps you pray when you're stumped. Romans 8:26a says, "Likewise, the Spirit helps us in our weaknesses, for we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself intercedes for us." Have you ever been in a situation where you didn't know what to pray? You and I have limited knowledge about what's going on all around us, in the spirit realm or in the future. But the Holy Spirit has all knowledge about it. When we pray in the Spirit, we're letting Him pray for the perfect outcome of any situation.
- Makes you bold. In Acts 1:8, Jesus said, "You shall receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you shall be My witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth." I used to be less than bold when it came to witnessing; I did not have the power to be a witness, neither in Jerusalem nor in all Judea and Samaria—or even in my neighborhood grocery store! But since I've fostered a habit of praying in the tongues, it's taken the "chicken" out of me, and I've gotten much bolder. The compassion of Jesus rises up in me, and I no longer care what anyone of thinks. I'm able to be a bold witness for Him. You can too!
Karen Jensen Salisbury has been in ministry over 30 years. Formerly a lead pastor, then an instructor at Rhema Bible College, she is currently an itinerant minister and author of several books. Connect with her on her website, karenjensen.org, on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.
This article originally appeared at karenjensen.org.
For more about the gift of tongues, listen to the podcasts included with this article.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. Enroll in the FREE Mini-Course to experience Dr. Rutland's training for yourself and then enroll for the full training that will change your life and ministry.
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.
NICL Training offered in FL, TX and GA - Learn everything you wish someone had taught you about business and ministry before you finished seminary. Gain the knowledge that will help propel your life and ministry to the next level as you implement practical lessons from Dr. Rutland's training. Training Dates and Details.
The NICL Online is a brand new option for those church and ministry leaders who cannot attend the in-person training. Now, you can receive all 60-hours of Dr. Rutland's training from the comfort of your home or ministry for a full year. Learn more about NICL Online.