This year, we will be once again immersed with Christmas shopping commercials as we join our families for the annual Thanksgiving feast.
Don't let these turkeys turn you into the Christmas goose:
- Don't forget to be thankful at Thanksgiving. People who appreciate their blessings are more likely to get more.
- Thanksgiving is not about eating yourself into a food coma and sleeping through football games. Find something you can do with your family.
- You do not have to spend money to have fun. Card games, dominoes and board games can entertain the whole family without cost.
- Christmas shopping is a necessary evil in our society. You should do it on your schedule, not at midnight on Thanksgiving Day.
- Most retailers mark up their goods before putting them on "sale." Smart shoppers buy when the real sales hit closer to Christmas.
- You can maximize your purchasing power by giving gift cards. After Christmas is when the largest discounts happen.
- Another shopping maven trick is to look for Christmas presents throughout the year. It spreads their cost and lets buyers find real bargains.
- Layaway is making a comeback, and you should use it. It spreads your cost and saves you credit card charges.
- Christmas presents do not need to be expensive. It really is the thought that counts.
- Don't let your kids guilt trip you into buying gifts you can't afford. They'll get over it.
- Large families can save money by drawing names for gifts. Just remember to give cards or tokens to the others.
- Never believe your wife when she says you didn't need to get her a Christmas present. Get her a nice, inexpensive little piece of jewelry and save your marriage.
- You are not the U.S. government. Leave the credit cards at home and shop with the money you have, not money you don't.
- If you are struggling to pay debts, now is a good time to start a debt relief plan. Financial freedom is a great Christmas present.
Ron Allen is a Christian businessman, CPA and author who serves in local, national and international ministries, spreading a message of reconciliation to God, to men and between believers. He is founder of the International Star Bible Society, telling how the heavens declare the glory of God; the Emancipation Network, which helps people escape from financial bondage; and co-founder with his wife, Pat, of Corporate Prayer Resources, dedicated to helping intercessors.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.