The number of single parents has grown dramatically over the last 30 years.
Unfortunately, it's still the most difficult job in the world.
1. For those who are under 21 and did not graduate from high school, single parenthood is the highway to generational poverty. Take the exit marked "Education," and you can begin to turn your life around.
2. There are never enough hard workers with a good attitude. Be one, and you'll get promoted out of poverty.
3. Don't be guilt-tripped into wasting money on your kids. They need your time, not more things.
4. Never be ashamed to accept government assistance. Just use it as a springboard to escape poverty.
5. Save money by bartering services such as babysitting, carpooling, hair care and cooking with other single parents. Your church would be a good place to look for them.
6. Sharing accommodations with other single parents can save money. Just be sure you are compatible.
7. Idleness kills the soul. Be busy with something—church, school, charity—if you are still looking for a job.
8. Don't count on Mr. or Mrs. Right to fix your life. That person will come along at about the time when you've got it all together.
9. You can save a lot of money by sharing around your kids' outgrown clothing. Your kids will thank you later.
10. Train your kids to help around the house and work from an early age. It will carry them far in life.
11. Use debt for a home and a car, and avoid debt for other things if you can. Debt will steal your future if you let it.
12. If you are over your head in debt, you must develop a debt relief plan. You can get free of debt bondage if you are determined.
13. Save money and live on a cash basis as much as possible. You'll have money for a rainy day and can enjoy financial freedom.
14. Your kids will grow up. Make sure you have some money and a life when they are gone.
Ron Allen is a Christian businessman, CPA and author who serves in local, national and international ministries, spreading a message of reconciliation to God, to men and between believers. He is founder of the International Star Bible Society, telling how the heavens declare the glory of God; the Emancipation Network, which helps people escape from financial bondage; and co-founder with his wife, Pat, of Corporate Prayer Resources, dedicated to helping intercessors.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. Enroll in the FREE Mini-Course to experience Dr. Rutland's training for yourself and then enroll for the full training that will change your life and ministry.
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.
NICL Training offered in FL, TX and GA - Learn everything you wish someone had taught you about business and ministry before you finished seminary. Gain the knowledge that will help propel your life and ministry to the next level as you implement practical lessons from Dr. Rutland's training. Training Dates and Details.
The NICL Online is a brand new option for those church and ministry leaders who cannot attend the in-person training. Now, you can receive all 60-hours of Dr. Rutland's training from the comfort of your home or ministry for a full year. Learn more about NICL Online.