Sometimes it is more important to ask someone the right question rather than provide them the right answer.
Asking the right question is the most powerful way to advise, coach or mentor another. It's one thing to be considered an "expert with all the answers." It is quite another to be known for helping people get their thinking straight.
That (asking the right questions) is a huge part of my advising and coaching business.
Here are 14 great questions that you need to answer, seven about your business and seven for yourself.
My prayer is that at least one or two of these questions bear witness with your spirit to answer now.
For Your Business:
- What are your core convictions—those three to five values and virtues upon which are your foundation of service?
- What is your purpose—your reason to exist?
- What is our point of dominance—the one very targeted section of the marketplace you want to own?
- What is your brand—your one-to-two-word customer promise?
- What are your two to five strategic priorities—your big rocks—for this year? Next year? The next?
- What are your key numbers—measurable, quantitative goals you need to hit for this year? Next year? The year after?
- What is your core score—the one daily/weekly measure that is the best pulse of positive progress?
For Yourself at Work:
- How can I better unleash the supernatural power of God living within me more than only relying upon my natural skills?
- What do I need to do to eliminate distractions and focus more energy on deep work?
- Who can I approach to become my mentor, advisor or coach?
- What could I do to exponentially multiply my impact at work?
- Am I living out what I truly believe?*
- What do I need to learn?*
- How can I partner with heaven on this (project, activity, opportunity, problem)?*
*The last 3 questions I learned in an amazing workshop led by Andy Mason, Director of Heaven in Business, a Bethel Church business ministry.
Investing the time needed to answer these critical questions will set you above and beyond your completion as well as on the right path to kingdom impact.
Dr. Jim Harris is an executive coach, adviser and author of 14 award-winning business books. Download his FREE 31 Power Prayers to Prosper Your Business. Connect with Dr. Jim on Facebook LinkedIn, and Twitter.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. Enroll in the FREE Mini-Course to experience Dr. Rutland's training for yourself and then enroll for the full training that will change your life and ministry.
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.
NICL Training offered in FL, TX and GA - Learn everything you wish someone had taught you about business and ministry before you finished seminary. Gain the knowledge that will help propel your life and ministry to the next level as you implement practical lessons from Dr. Rutland's training. Training Dates and Details.
The NICL Online is a brand new option for those church and ministry leaders who cannot attend the in-person training. Now, you can receive all 60-hours of Dr. Rutland's training from the comfort of your home or ministry for a full year. Learn more about NICL Online.