Perhaps like you, I usually learn more from my mistakes than my successes, and trust me, I have made countless business mistakes.
Yet through my stumbles and falls, I have learned many valuable lessons along the way.
Here are 10 simple yet important keys I've learned on how to grow a faith-based business.
10 Keys to Grow a Faith-Based Business
- It's not your business—it's God's business (Ps. 24:1). He can do whatever he wants with it. Giving up this kind of control seems ridiculous to our non-Christian friends and even scary to many who are. Yet by totally dedicating and giving your business to God, He can then begin His work in and through you—the work you were eternally destined to do.
- Getting rich is not the goal—bringing glory to God is (Ps. 34:3). Gods want us to earn a profit—even demands it (Matt. 25:14-30), but not at the loss of all else, including family, relationships, brand image and customer loyalty.
- The business is not your first priority—your relationship with God is (Lev. 26:1). Since we entrepreneurs are wired to create, produce, market, sell and be the first-in/last-out, it is easy for us to allow the business to dominate our lives, even at the expense of our time with our Creator.
- Build your business mission to align with your personal mission (Jer. 1:5). God wired you to be you. So when you align your unique talents, gifts, skills, interests and passion into your business mission, you are walking closer to a fully integrated and rewarding life, both for your business and for your family.
- Take your hands off the wheel (Prov. 20:24). Allowing Jesus to take the wheel is a both joy and a relief. This is where you must have the faith to allow Him to steer your business wherever He likes. It does not mean you do nothing and wait for Him, but rather you do everything you sense He wants you to do with excellence.
- God's timing is indeed always right, always best (Is. 55:8-9). So many times I have pushed and prodded to get everything done on my schedule and in my time. If you are following No. 5, it is easier to rest in His timing rather than yours.
- God's idea of "success" may not be yours (Josh. 1:8) God is all about you being a success. As I often write in my blog, His concept of success, its principles, purpose and people bringing glory to Him, is in direct opposition to the general marketplace and its obsession with profit, prestige, power and bringing glory to yourself. Don't confuse the two.
- God can turn your mistakes into triumphs (2 Sam. 12:24). I am so thankful for this. So fret not if you try something in good faith toward fulfilling your mission, and it fails (Phil. 4:6-7). Learn from it and keep moving.
- He's always there ready to listen and respond (Ps. 46:10). If you are unsure of the next step, task, decision, then (a) study His word, (b) seek the godly counsel of others and (c) pray #BeLed. He'll tell you what next to do.
- Give it all you've got, and leave the results to God (Josh. 14:14). This is one of the main themes from the wonderful football movie, Facing the Giants. Just like Coach Taylor tells his team, when you give it your best, then God will grant the results He deems appropriate, which are often far more than you imagined (Eph. 3:20). Give it your best and follow the 10 lessons.
This list is certainly not an exhaustive list of even all the lessons I've learned along the way. May these 10 keys exhort you into giving your business fully to Christ—and see what He does with it through you!
Dr. Jim Harris is a speaker, executive coach, business advisor and author of 14 award-winning business books including Our Unfair Advantage: Unleash the Power of the Holy Spirit in Your Business. Connect with Dr. Jim on Facebook, LinkedIn and Twitter.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.