There are few topics that evoke as much emotion as politics. The intensity of emotions is particularly evident during presidential elections.
Pastors and church staff are not oblivious to political emotions. Indeed, some of them can be among the most intensely emotional.
The purpose of this post is not to imply that pastors and staff should abandon their convictions. Nor is it to suggest that silence is always the best option. Instead, I hope it is a gentle reminder of 10 issues pastors may want to consider before posting political views and opinions on social media.
1. You shall remember you are an ambassador for Christ. All of your written and spoken words should be a reflection of Him.
2. You shall remember you are your church to many people. Your words, for better or worse, are a direct reflection on your congregation.
3. You shall not be a stumbling block to unbelievers. Many are watching you. Many are reading your words.
4. You shall refrain from posting when your emotions are high. Take a break for a day. If you don't, you will likely regret it later.
5. You shall remember that others are often posting in the throes of their own anger and emotions. It is usually best not to engage them then.
6. You shall remember your words are permanent. The moment you post, someone has likely captured your article or post, even if you delete it later.
7. You shall understand some members of your congregation likely have a different view than you. Is your post worth the disunity that may follow?
8. You shall not be a distraction to the gospel. Politics are often an easy detour from that which really matters.
9. You shall be aware of the long political memory many people have. Some people are talking today about the comments Christians made in the presidential election four years ago!
10. You shall be aware that your political opinions may cause disunity with other churches in the community. Make certain the words are worth the price that is paid.
The writer of Ecclesiastes reminds us in chapter 3, verse 7 there is "a time to be silent and a time to speak." For the sake of the gospel, please make certain you have sought God's wisdom to discern what time it is for you.
Thom Rainer is the president of LifeWay Christian Resources. For the original article, visit thomrainer.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.