Everything rises and falls on leadership. And that includes children's ministry.
If you are going to grow your children's ministry, then you must have strong leadership in place.
Let's look at 10 elements that make up great children's ministry leadership.
1. A clear mission statement that team members are committed to.
2. Clear and precise job expectations: The leader and team members know exactly what is expected of them. And they know how their role supports and helps build the big picture that you talk about.
3. Resources: It's hard to meet a deadline or goal without the resources you need to accomplish it. Great leaders find out what resources are needed and then get the tools in the hands of their team.
4. Right spot: For team members, it is vital that you help them find the right spot. You can find this out by asking them questions about their passion, goals, ideas and so on.
5. Moral support: Everyone needs encouragement. Everyone needs praise. Everyone needs to be honored for their work. Everyone needs to know they matter and their work matters.
6. Personal care: Team members need to know that their leader really cares about them and their family. Spend time with your team members outside of the church zone. Get to know them. Have them over for dinner.
7. Personal growth: Team members are invested in. Growth and development pathways are available. The goal is to not just grow the ministry, but to also grow team members. When surveyed, 75% of team members say they are often disengaged, and their leader provides little or no feedback.
8. Commitment to excellence: Team members are committed to excellence. Team members who are dragging the team down by "coasting" while everyone else is giving their best are not tolerated. Everyone must be committed to giving their very best for the ministry.
9. Relationships: Team members develop strong relationships. The work environment has a "we are family" feel to it. It really does make a huge difference when you enjoy the people you serve with.
10. Team members feel empowered to provide ideas, feedback and insight: This is welcomed and expected. Team members need to know that their opinion matters. When they know their ideas are welcomed and heard, it causes them to be more committed to the cause.
Dale Hudson is a ministry builder. As a children's pastor, he has helped build some of the largest and fastest-growing children's ministries in the country. At Cross Church, he led the children's ministry to double in size. At Central Christian Church in Las Vegas, he helped the church grow from 8,000 to 16,000 in four years with the majority of the growth coming from reaching unchurched families.
For the original article, visit relevantchildrensministry.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.