More than one person has said, "Our students and children are the future of the church."
That statement is true, but it's also insufficient. Children and students are part of the church now, and we'll lose them if we don't minister well to them today. Here are 11 ways to strengthen your children's ministry:
1. Enlist your best workers for this ministry. Don't allow just anyone to work with children; find your absolute best, even if it means pulling them out of adult classes.
2. Train the workers well. Willingness to serve does not automatically equal ability to serve. Enlist your best, and then continually train them. Help them know how to lead children in 2015. The strategies aren't the same as in the 1980s. ...
3. Establish clear security protocols. The bottom line: nobody who hasn't passed a background check should be working with minors, and wandering through your church's children's ministry area without clearance should be almost impossible. Take all steps necessary to protect your children.
4. Upgrade your facilities for children. Provide sufficient space for them. Make sure every door has a window for security purposes. Purchase furniture that's appropriate for children. Paint the walls bright colors. Get rid of the clutter. Make your children's areas a place to which children want to come.
5. Don't lower the bar when teaching children. Find the best material, and teach it well. Assume your children want to learn about God. They're probably more open to it than many of your adults are.
6. Capitalize on media resources. Our children have grown up with video, computers, and the Internet. To not use strong Christian media-based resources is to miss an opportunity to teach our children well.
7. Develop a church membership and beginning discipleship class for children. When children choose to follow Christ, the biblical demands on their lives aren't different than adults. Help them get started well as new believers.
8. Hang out with the children. If you're a church staff member, your church's children need to see you and know you apart from "big church" and the pulpit. Walk through their areas every Sunday. Talk to them. Get to know their names. Listen to their stories. Love them.
9. Kneel when talking to children. Respect and love them enough to lower yourself to their eye level when speaking to them. Something's just different when they see us face-to-face.
10. If you're a preacher, remember the children in the audience. Use illustrations that appeal to children. Call them to attention occasionally by saying something like, "Boys and girls, let me tell you a story" or "Kids, let me explain this word to you." If your children are listening, it's more likely your adults will be, too.
11. Establish prayer partners with children. Imagine what might happen if assigned people in your church prayed weekly for every child in your ministry. Connect the generations by establishing an intentional plan to do so.
Chuck Lawless serves as Professor of Evangelism and Missions and Dean of Graduate Studies at Southeastern Seminary. You can connect with Dr. Lawless on both Twitter and Facebook. Be sure to check out Dr. Lawless' daily blog posts at www.chucklawless.com.
For the original article, visit thomrainer.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.