The enemy is known for whispering lies. He started in the Garden of Eden and continues to this day.
Here are 10 lies he whispers to children’s ministry leaders. How do I know? I’ve personally heard all of these:
1. You’re not really making a difference.
2. What you do is not as important as adult ministry.
3. You don’t have the ability to do this.
4. You’re too busy to pray.
5. You’re teaching kids. If you were a really good teacher, you would be teaching adults.
6. No one wants to volunteer.
7. No one appreciates you and your ministry.
8. That kid or family can’t be reached.
9. You’re not successful because your children’s ministry is not growing. Give up and quit.
10. God doesn’t care. If He did, He wouldn’t have let that child die.
When the enemy whispers these and other lies to you, what should you do?
Do what Jesus did in the wilderness. Speak the Word of God back to him and stand on God’s promises:
1. You’re not really making a difference. “It is the same with my word. I send it out, and it always produces fruit. It will accomplish all I want it to, and it will prosper everywhere I send it” (Is. 55:11, NLT).
2. What you do is not as important as adult ministry. “But Jesus said, ‘Let the children come to me. Don’t stop them! For the Kingdom of Heaven belongs to those who are like these children’” (Matt. 19:14).
3. You don’t have the ability to do this. "It is not by force nor by strength, but by my Spirit, says the Lord of Heaven’s Armies" (Zech. 4:6).
4. You’re too busy to pray. “But when you pray, go away by yourself, shut the door behind you, and pray to your Father in private. Then your Father, who sees everything, will reward you” (Matt. 6:6).
5. You’re teaching kids. If you were a really good teacher, you would be teaching adults. “You have been taught the holy Scriptures from childhood, and they have given you the wisdom to receive the salvation that comes by trusting in Christ Jesus” (2 Tim. 3:15).
6. No one wants to volunteer. “So pray to the Lord who is in charge of the harvest; ask him to send more workers into his fields” (Matt. 9:38).
7. No one appreciates you and your ministry. “For God is not unjust. He will not forget how hard you have worked for him and how you have shown your love to him by caring for other believers, as you still do” (Heb. 6:10).
8. That kid or family can’t be reached. “This is a trustworthy saying, and everyone should accept it: ‘Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners’—and I am the worst of them all” (1 Tim. 1:15).
9. You’re not successful because your children’s ministry is not growing. Give up and quit. “I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth. So then neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but God who causes the growth. Now he who plants and he who waters are one; but each will receive his own reward according to his own labor. For we are God’s fellow workers; you are God’s field, God’s building” (1 Cor. 3:6-9, NASB).
10. God doesn’t care. If He did, He wouldn’t have let that child die. “'For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,' declares the Lord. 'As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts'” (Is. 55:8-9, NIV).
What are some other lies the enemy has whispered to you? How did you stand against them?
The floor is yours. Share with us in the comment section below. God will use your words to encourage and help us.
Dale Hudson has served in children and family ministry for over 24 years. He is the director of children’s ministries at Christ Fellowship Church in Palm Beach, Fla. He was recently named one of the top 20 influencers in children’s ministry. He is the coauthor of four ministry books, including Turbocharged: 100 Simple Secrets to Successful Children’s Ministry.
For the original article, visit relevantchildrensministry.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.