Corporate-speak uses terms like "Mission Statement," "Vision" and "Values," but when it comes to us, we don't often think in terms of having a personal life message. In my work consulting with visionary leaders I deal with it all the time, but when it comes to normal, everyday people, not many understand the importance of having a message. But as some have said, "Your message is your life."
Why do we need a message?
- If we're going to stand out in today's cluttered, distracted world.
- If we're going to get noticed.
- If you have expertise or information people need.
- If you want to be promoted, have influence or change anyone's life, you need to be known for something.
- What are you most passionate about? Where is your expertise? What are the issues you spend most of your time wrestling with?
Think of it as an epitaph. What do you want to be remembered for? What do you want engraved on your headstone?
If we asked a handful of famous people, here's what they might say about their own life message:
- Confucius: Life is simple, not complicated.
- Gandhi: Be the change you wish to see in the world.
- Pastor Jack Hayford: Understand the power of worship.
- Henry David Thoreau: Slow down. Start observing.
- John Wooden: Make each day your masterpiece.
- Richard Branson: Live life to the limits.
- Seth Godin: Be remarkable.
- Tony Robbins: Live life with passion.
- Walt Disney: Dream big.
With me it would be "Be unique." Billy Graham is known for salvation, John Maxwell for leadership, and Joel Osteen for hope.
What will you be known for?
We all know that actions speak louder than words, so who you are matters far more than what you do. Think about it today. Your message can help define your career and calling, focus people's perceptions about you and determine your legacy, so it's not something to take lightly.
What are your thoughts about the importance of a life message?
An internationally known writer and speaker, Phil Cooke has produced media programming in nearly 50 countries around the world.
This article originally appeared at philcooke.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Steve Greene is now sharing stories, teachings, and conversations with guests who lead with love on Love Leads, a new podcast. Listen now.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. Enroll in the FREE Mini-Course to experience Dr. Rutland's training for yourself and then enroll for the full training that will change your life and ministry.
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.
NICL Training offered in FL, TX and GA - Learn everything you wish someone had taught you about business and ministry before you finished seminary. Gain the knowledge that will help propel your life and ministry to the next level as you implement practical lessons from Dr. Rutland's training. Training Dates and Details.
The NICL Online is a brand new option for those church and ministry leaders who cannot attend the in-person training. Now, you can receive all 60-hours of Dr. Rutland's training from the comfort of your home or ministry for a full year. Learn more about NICL Online.