I am writing this article on my 62nd birthday.
Yeah, I'm a real party animal.
Let me shoot straight. I have so much for which to be thankful. God has blessed me immeasurably, none of which I deserve. If my ministry were to end today through death or disability, I could only praise Him for the life and ministry He gave me.
But I am assuming I have a few more years left in ministry. And this point in my life is both a time of reflection and looking forward. I want this fourth quarter of my ministry to make a difference for His glory. To be clear, I want to avoid seven dangers in my last years of ministry. And I know I can succumb to any and all of these dangers without His strength, His mercy, and His plan.
- Coasting. Lord, show me how to give my all for You. Wake me up to the reality of coasting if I ever move in that direction. Remind me that laziness is not just a bad work ethic; it is a sin and affront against You.
- Hanging on. I pray I will not hang on for just another paycheck. I pray I will place the timing of my ministry in God's hands, not my 401(k). I pray I will not love my position in ministry so much that I can't hear Your voice when it's time to move on.
- Weariness. Ministry is not for cowards. Yes, there are the constant streams of human critics but, even more dangerous, ministry is spiritual warfare. I pray I will not grow weary, but find my strength in God through prayer and the daily reading of His Word.
- Misplaced identity. My identity is not president, pastor or church staff member. My identity is in Christ. If my identity is in my present vocation, I will not let go when it's time. I will hold onto the idols of ego, self-gratification and ephemeral titles.
- Change aversion. My prayer is I will always be open to needed change, that I will not leave the work of change for the one who follows me. I pray I will still have the courage and strength to make the tough decisions, not to kick the can for another time and another leader.
- Failure to stay current. It's a challenge to keep up. Change is hitting us so rapidly. I could get lazy and not read, not be challenged by others or scream that the way we've always done it is just fine. In my later years of ministry, I pray I will not succumb to the temptation of no longer learning.
- Regret. For sure, I've made plenty of mistakes. If I wrote a book about stupid things I've done in ministry, it would have to be a multi-volume series. But, in these latter years of ministry, I can't look back. I can't wallow in the self-pity of past stupidity. The past is past. I look to God's future.
Brothers and sisters, I do not count myself to have attained, but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, I press toward the goal to the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus (Phil. 3:13-14).
May those verses be my theme for the years I have left to serve the One who has called me, strengthened me and given me the great promise of His presence and power.
Thom S. Rainer is the president of LifeWay Christian Resources.
This article originally appeared at thomrainer.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Steve Greene is now sharing stories, teachings, and conversations with guests who lead with love on Love Leads, a new podcast. Listen now.
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.