Most pastors have been nervous about delivering a sermon at one time or another. Here are 10 approaches you should stay away from when in the pulpit:
1. Make it about you, not Jesus.
2. Let the Holy Spirit just lead you on the spot (not also the week or two before in your prep time!).
3. Forget to use your clutch (also called "transitions") as you switch gears between points.
4. Preach like a Texas steer ... a point here, a point there and a lot of bull in-between.
5. String together random verses to support your outline instead of drawing your sermon from a strong exposition of God's Word.
6. Steal your sermon outlines from someone else instead of wrestling through your own.
7. Take 30 minutes to make a 10-minute point.
8. Make people feel like they need to do more for Jesus to truly accept them.
9. Overuse or underuse humor, stories and illustrations.
10. Refuse to give the gospel.
Greg Stier is the president and founder of Dare 2 Share Ministries, which is mobilizing teenagers across America to share their faith. Visit him at dare2share.org.
For the original article, visit gregstier.org.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Steve Greene is now sharing stories, teachings, and conversations with guests who lead with love on Love Leads, a new podcast. Listen now.
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. Enroll in the FREE Mini-Course to experience Dr. Rutland's training for yourself and then enroll for the full training that will change your life and ministry.
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.
NICL Training offered in FL, TX and GA - Learn everything you wish someone had taught you about business and ministry before you finished seminary. Gain the knowledge that will help propel your life and ministry to the next level as you implement practical lessons from Dr. Rutland's training. Training Dates and Details.
The NICL Online is a brand new option for those church and ministry leaders who cannot attend the in-person training. Now, you can receive all 60-hours of Dr. Rutland's training from the comfort of your home or ministry for a full year. Learn more about NICL Online.