What habits are keeping you from getting your work done? Bad habits equal bad leadership.
Here are 10 habits you must break to be more productive:
1. Overloading. Have you ever been in the middle of one task and then started another, only later to realize that you didn't finish either? Multi-tasking seems like a good idea at the time, but it often leads to nothing. Concentrate on the important task until it is finished before starting something else.
2. Making excuses. We have become desensitized to accountability. When something doesn't get done, we immediately look for something or someone else to blame. As the cliche goes, "Life isn't always fair." Get it done anyway.
3. Email obsession. How many times do you check email in a day? 10, 20, 50, 100? Stop checking your email so often. Instead, do your work.
4. Focus on the negative. The news is best consumed in small doses. If you read the news these days, there is simply too much. Too much negativity. Too much inaccuracy. Too much wasted time. Don't endlessly surf the news websites, and instead let the news come to you. Get a few RSS feeds. Read the news once a day.
5. Being disorganized. You may be telling yourself (and others) that you know exactly where everything is on your desk. However, a messy desk impedes your ability to efficiently do work. Piles are not organization, so clean them up today.
6. Complaining. Don't be one of those people who goes through life complaining instead of doing. If you aren't happy about something, then do something about it. You can leave your job. You can start new relationships. You can even change things about yourself if you try hard enough.
7. Unhealthy eating. Eating junk food on a regular basis is a sure-road trip to an unhealthly lifestyle. However, it is also responsible for derailing your energy level in the afternoon. Instead of being a post-lunch zombie, eat a healthy meal that will actually fuel your body.
8. Skipping exercise. When things get hectic, one of the first things to go is exercise. Don't use "I don't have time to work out" as an excuse. (See No. 2) You do have time to work out. Don't underestimate exercise's ability to power your motivation and energy level.
9. Being chained to your phone. Who is in charge, you or your smartphone? Don't answer it just because it rings. Don't jump at every beep, chirp and vibration. Remember, it is there for your convenience, not the other way around.
10. Doing it just "good enough." When you don't give something your all, you end up with a half-done job. As Jeffrey Mayer said, if you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it again? Always bring your A-game, do it right the first time, and do it with class.
It may be time you replaced a few of those bad habits with better ones.
Artie Davis wears a lot of hats and leads a lot of people. He's pastor at Cornerstone Community Church in Orangeburg, S.C. He heads the Comb Network and the Sticks Conference. He speaks and writes about leadership, ministry, church planting and cultural diversity in the church. You can find his blog at ArtieDavis.com or catch him on Twitter @artiedavis.
For the original article, visit pastors.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.