Let me take you behind the scenes again in the life of a pastor.
For sure, your pastor is not likely to let you know the pain these brief sentences cause.
But, for most pastors, they hurt. They really hurt.
Here are 10 of the most common painful sentences uttered to pastors by church members:
1. "I love you pastor, but ... ." The pastor will only hear the words after the "but." And they usually are painful.
2. "Why didn't you visit her?" Of course, she's not a member of the church. She was in a hospital 70 miles away. And she's married to the third cousin of the church member.
3. "Gotta minute? This question is typically asked in the time frame of one to five minutes before the pastor preaches.
4. "Have you heard this podcast pastor?" Meaning: That podcast pastor is better than you.
5. "Pastor, people are saying ... ." Of course, there are no "people," just the gutless person who won't speak for himself.
6. "We've never done it that way before." And that is one of the key reasons the church is dying.
7. "I do pay your salary, you know." In other words, it's not God's money; it's my money.
8. "I wish she had heard that sermon." And the pastor was hoping you heard the sermon.
9. "I wish I worked just a few hours a week like you." After all, the pastor just needs 30 minutes to prepare a sermon and 30 minutes to preach it.
10. "Your kids need to behave like pastor's kids should behave." You can find those standards in the Bible: Hezekiah 3:16.
What do you think of this list? Pastors, what would you add?
Thom S. Rainer is the president of LifeWay Christian Resources. For the original article, visit thomrainer.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Steve Greene is now sharing stories, teachings, and conversations with guests who lead with love on Love Leads, a new podcast. Listen now.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. Enroll in the FREE Mini-Course to experience Dr. Rutland's training for yourself and then enroll for the full training that will change your life and ministry.
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.
NICL Training offered in FL, TX and GA - Learn everything you wish someone had taught you about business and ministry before you finished seminary. Gain the knowledge that will help propel your life and ministry to the next level as you implement practical lessons from Dr. Rutland's training. Training Dates and Details.
The NICL Online is a brand new option for those church and ministry leaders who cannot attend the in-person training. Now, you can receive all 60-hours of Dr. Rutland's training from the comfort of your home or ministry for a full year. Learn more about NICL Online.