Pastor, there are some things your church can't do for you.
They simply can't.
Please understand. I love the church. Greatly. I'm a local church guy. But they simply can't do these things for you.
And if you think they can, or you leave it up to them to do these things, you'll someday find out the hard way—they can't.
I've watched it many times as pastors didn't do these. They followed the demands of the church and somehow expected the church to be providing these needs. It caused a void.
Some pastors have even crashed and burned waiting for someone else to do for them what only they could do.
Granted, you may have the greatest church of your ministry career, but regardless of how wonderful the church is they can't do all the things for you that your soul, personal life and ministry demands.
You'll have to do them yourself—by God's grace—if they're going to be done.
Here are seven things your church can't adequately do for the pastor:
1. Hold you accountable. The church can't guard your heart and character. It doesn't matter how many rules or committees they have, if you want to ruin your life, you'll find a way around the structure.
2. Love your family and protect your time with them. They may love your family. They may respect your time with them, but if you really want to protect your family—you'll have to take the lead role here.
3. Understand the demands on your time. They can't. And, you'll only be disappointed if you expect them to. All jokes aside, they know you work more than Sunday, but they don't know all the pressure placed upon your role. They can't understand any more than you can understand what it's like to sit at their desk, or operate that machine they operate, or drive that police car or teach that classroom. We only know what we know and we can't fully understand what another person's experience is until we experience it.
4. Ensure you discipline your Sabbath time. You can teach it—they can know it—but if they need you they aren't going to necessarily understand that you're on a Sabbath. If you're going to rest—if you're going to have a biblcially commanded Sabbath—you'll have to discipline yourselves to take it.
5. Read your mind. People are usually waiting to be led. They are looking for a vision to follow. They can't follow an unspoken vision.
6. Build your sense of self-worth. If you're waiting to hear how wonderful the message was, what a good job you're doing, or how much the church loves you in order to feel you're doing a good job—you're going to be very disappointed most of the time. You'll have to find your sense of self-worth in your relationship with God and living out His purpose for your life—the same place you're hopefully encouraging the church to find their sense of self-worth.
7. Completely discern your call from God. Some may be used of God to speak into your life, but your personal calling is between you and God. They won't always understand when you're "called away" or when you feel "led" to lead in a certain direction. And, you can't expect them to.
Don't expect others to do for you what only you—by God's grace—can do.
Ron Edmondson is the lead pastor for Immanuel Baptist Church in Lexington, Kentucky. For the original article, visit ronedmondson.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Steve Greene is now sharing stories, teachings, and conversations with guests who lead with love on Love Leads, a new podcast. Listen now.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.