It's not a boring vocation.
If you serve as a pastor or church staff member, there is rarely a boring moment. A few years ago, I began polling pastors and church staff and collecting some really weird things church members said to them.
Here is my current top 20. I modified some to fit into a direct quote, but the essence remains. The words in italics are my own commentaries.
- "Will you bless me divorcing my husband so I can marry a convicted murderer? God told me to do it". Yes, I am sure that's exactly what God said.
- Said to a pastor in his ordination council: "What is your view on Christian missions in space?" Space, the final frontier ... to boldly go where no man has gone before.
- During the offertory: "Pastor, do you have change for a twenty?" Probably a deacon.
- To a worship pastor after the service: "Here's the bulletin. I graded each song based on how worshipful it was." Thank you. We will be sending you your grades on how much the church staff likes you.
- "Can we put the children's moment back in the bulletin? I know we don't have any children, but the old folks like it." Yes, we will alternate it every week with the senior moment.
- "I use to be a warlock." Was that before or after you became a deacon?
- Just before the service began: "Pastor, there's no toilet tissue in the women's restroom." Makes you wonder what she would have said if the pastor was in the women's restroom replacing toilet tissue.
- "Thank you for shaving your facial hair, because the Bible forbids it." You're right. It's right there in the Bible at Hezekiah 3:16.
- "My husband's ashes are in two different places. Will Jesus be able find him? It's amazing what your husband did to get away from you.
- "Pastor, help me cut this Coke can. I need an ashtray for the fellowship hall." Yes, things go better with Coke.
- In the middle of the service, a woman asks: "Pastor, aliens visited me. Is God okay with that?" You are mistaken. They were Jehovah's Witnesses, not aliens.
- "Pastor, I need you to come get rid of the secret agents spying on me from my attic." The pastor remembers learning how to deal with this situation from his seminary training.
- "Is it okay for me to lie if I ask for forgiveness in advance?" Definitely a Southern Baptist.
- Church member: "Pastor, will you pray for my son? He's wild and out of control." Pastor: "Sure, what's his name?" Church member: "Maverick." I guess we should be thankful his name is not "Homicide."
- "I have the spiritual gift of extortion." Another Southern Baptist.
- "Preacher, I have some moonshine for your cough. Feel free to stop by the house." That's one pastoral visit he made that week.
- "Will you play George Jones songs in the service today?" I'm sorry, we're doing all Bee Gees today."
- "I want you to know if this church fails, it's not your fault." Gotta love those church members with the gift of encouragement.
- "Pastor, I have some extra Vicodin. Would you like some?" Probably not, but thank you for thinking of him.
- "Pastor, pray for me. I'm going to Vegas." I bet double or nothing he didn't pray for her.
Yes, church members say the darnedest things. Do you have any to add?
Thom S. Rainer is the president of LifeWay Christian Resources.
This article originally appeared at thomrainer.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Steve Greene is now sharing stories, teachings, and conversations with guests who lead with love on Love Leads, a new podcast. Listen now.
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.