The majority of Christendom has no idea what it’s like to be a pastor. Pastors think a lot about the words they use, and about the words they hope others will use.
I figure David Letterman would never get around to this, so I’ve developed the list. In case you’ve ever wondered, here are some of the words pastors dream about hearing.
Some of them are tongue-in-cheek; others are straight from the heart. I’m sure you can improve the list (Post yours below).
10. “Last week, we read that the pastor who preaches and teaches is worthy of double honor, so we’re doubling your salary.”
9. “We’ve funded a line item to send your kids to college. There’s enough for each of them to attend Harvard. While we were at it, we’re paying for your doctorate—and for your wife to get her Master’s degree.”
8. “The President’s secretary called. He wants you to do the Invocation for his inauguration. He told me he thinks you’re the next Rick Warren.”
7. “Look Pastor! Charisma Magazine put you on their cover this month!”
6. “Zondervan just called. They want to make your latest sermon series into a book. They’re pretty sure it will be a best-seller.”
5. “Pastor, your sermon last Sunday was better than Billy Graham.”
4. “You’re the godliest man I know.”
3. “We think you’ve earned a six-month sabbatical. The first three months will be in Hawaii. We hope you’ll use the other three months to write a book—which we’ll make sure gets published. We know you’ll be hard to replace in the pulpit, so we’ve convinced Chuck Swindoll to fill in while you’re away.”
2. “Every member of my family has come to Christ now, thanks to you.”
1. “Well done, good and faithful servant.”
Hal Seed is the founding pastor of New Song Church in Oceanside, Calif. He is currently encouraging churches to launch a Bible Reading Revolution in their churches and cities. Find out how to participate at www.pastormentor.com.
For the original article, visit pastormentor.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Steve Greene is now sharing stories, teachings, and conversations with guests who lead with love on Love Leads, a new podcast. Listen now.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. Enroll in the FREE Mini-Course to experience Dr. Rutland's training for yourself and then enroll for the full training that will change your life and ministry.
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.
NICL Training offered in FL, TX and GA - Learn everything you wish someone had taught you about business and ministry before you finished seminary. Gain the knowledge that will help propel your life and ministry to the next level as you implement practical lessons from Dr. Rutland's training. Training Dates and Details.
The NICL Online is a brand new option for those church and ministry leaders who cannot attend the in-person training. Now, you can receive all 60-hours of Dr. Rutland's training from the comfort of your home or ministry for a full year. Learn more about NICL Online.