Have you ever heard the phrase, "There are no bad questions"?
In leadership, this might be true.
I have learned in my years of leadership—I only know what I know. And many times, I don't know much. Plus, the people I am trying to lead only know what they know.
Therefore, one of the best skills a leader can develop is the art of asking the right questions.
Here are 12 questions that can make you a better leader:
- How can I better help you as your leader?
- What is the biggest challenge you have in being successful here?
- Do you understand what I've asked you to do?
- What am I missing these days? What do I need to know that it doesn't appear I do?
- How would you do _______ if you were me?
- What is your greatest concern for our team these days?
- If we had authority to do anything—and money was no barrier—what would you like to see us do as a team/organization?
- Where do you see yourself someday and how can I assist you in getting there?
- What are people on the team thinking, but have been afraid to share with me?
- What are you currently learning that can help all of us?
- How are you doing in your personal life, and is there any way I can help you?
- Is there anything you've wanted to say to me, but haven't felt the freedom to do so? (And tell them now is their chance with no retribution.)
You can rephrase these for your context, but I encourage you to ask them—often. But, if you are attempting to lead people, I suggest you start asking more questions.
Ron Edmondson is a pastor and church leader passionate about planting churches, helping established churches thrive, and assisting pastors and those in ministry think through leadership, strategy and life. Ron has over 20 years business experience, mostly as a self-employed business owner, and he's been helping churches grow vocationally for over 10 years.
For the original article, visit ronedmondson.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.