Many of us find ourselves in leadership positions, but we wonder sometimes if we're really leading. And, frankly, sometimes there are folks around us who also wonder if we're leading.
Here are a few questions to ask yourself to see if you're really leading as a Christian leader.
1. If others knew my life intimately, would they want to follow me? This question, of course, covers the "Christian" part of Christian leadership. If you're not living in such a way that you model Christ (1 Cor. 11:1), you're not leading as a Christian should.
2. Am I uncomfortable with the status quo? Even when things are going well, strong leaders are always praying about and seeking the next steps to accomplish God's best. If you're comfortable with where you and your church are, you might be in maintenance mode rather than leadership mode.
3. Do I have a picture of a bright future? This question is the vision question. If you aren't able to see what God might want to do through your ministry in the future—or if you've simply given up on the future—you're probably reacting more than leading.
4. Do I see people as God's gift or as a means to an end? If people are just a means to an end, we will use them rather than lead them—and that's unchristian. When we see them as God's gift, we will lead them to walk with Him and experience His best. How do you see your congregation?
5. Is anyone following me? John Maxwell and others have pointed out that a leader with no followers is only taking a walk. No leader gets everyone to follow (even Jesus didn't), but somebody will get on board with a genuine Christian leader who captures and casts God's vision. You're probably not leading well if nobody's following.
6. Am I investing in anyone personally? It's hard to read the New Testament and not see Jesus and Paul as leaders who intentionally mentored others. Based on their models, good Christian leadership includes pouring your life into a few people. To not do that is to miss one of the best opportunities for genuinely leading.
7. If I leave, will the ministry carry on well? The true test of our leadership is not when we're "on the ground"; it's when God calls us away, and the church must go on without us. If your church's ministry suffers when you're gone, you've not been the best leader. In fact, it's possible you've built your own kingdom rather than God's.
8. Am I continuing to learn? Leaders who already know it all will lead only so far. Inevitably, they will hit the ceiling of their training and knowledge. At that point, all they can do is live in maintenance mode unless they begin learning again. If you're not continually reading, studying, listening, etc., you may have hit your leadership ceiling.
9. Am I accountable to somebody for my godliness? This question takes us back to the first one. If you are a genuine Christian leader, you are guaranteed that Satan will attack you (1 Peter 5:8). The best Christian leaders put up accountability safeguards against the enemy's attacks.
What other questions would you add?
Be sure to check out Dr. Lawless' daily blog posts at www.chucklawless.com. Chuck Lawless currently serves as Professor of Evangelism and Missions and Dean of Graduate Studies at Southeastern Seminary. You can connect with Dr. Lawless on both Twitter and Facebook.
For the original article, visit thomrainer.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.