As I write this post, I'm tired—and when my body gets tired, my eyes struggle. They struggle so much, in fact, that it gets hard for me to see clearly. I think about this reality when I think of pastors who are just tired of opposition and apathy. When you're just tired of it all . . .
- You struggle seeing the good things God is doing. All the negative stuff clouds out the positive.
- You fail to see the future with faith. It's tough to see a great tomorrow when you're just trying to get through today.
- You sometimes make bad decisions because you don't see everything clearly enough. The "data" you have is fuzzy, and your conclusions are faulty.
- You see church leadership as a job to fulfill, not a privilege to live out. Sunday comes, and you have to do your job. Ministry becomes a burden rather than a joy.
- You see the "other grass" as greener than it is. That happens when you see your current grass as only brown. Everybody's grass looks greener then.
- You don't see your own sin. Your eyes turn to everybody else's issues, and you fail to see your own spiritual issues.
- You miss people who are just waiting to help you. They're there, but you can't see them when you're too tired to look around.
- You can't easily see what God is teaching you. He is teaching you something, but it's hard to see it when your vision's unclear.
- You don't see what your discouragement does to your family. You bring your pain home, let it overshadow everything and fail to see its effects on others.
- You need to rest your eyes more. Literally. We simply see things differently when our bodies and minds are rested.
What other results come to mind for you?
Chuck Lawless is dean and vice president of graduate studies and ministry centers at Southeastern Seminary in Wake Forest, NC, where he also serves as professor of evangelism and missions. In addition, he is global theological education consultant for the International Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention.
This article originally appeared at chucklawless.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Steve Greene is now sharing stories, teachings, and conversations with guests who lead with love on Love Leads, a new podcast. Listen now.
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.