A double-minded leader is unstable in all of his ways.
A leader may claim to lead with the mind of Christ but a carnally minded leader isn't difficult to discern.
The most obvious "tell" of a carnal leader is their focus on personal needs at the expense of others. This leader displays little concern for others. He frequently displays jealousy for what others have and will openly mock the success of others. The carnal leader will habitually compare himself to others.
A carnal leader will display anger toward others at relatively minor issues. Their opinion is the only opinion that matters. They do not seek to understand the views of others. This leader is driven by internal fears, and therefore, needs to control everything and everyone.
There are many descriptions of carnally minded leaders that fill volumes of books. The overarching truth about these leaders is that they are usually quite aware of their behavior and have no desire to change. They believe their way is the right way. Sadly, many also believe they are spiritual leaders.
A spirit-led leader is different in almost every way from a carnal leader. Consider these seven indicators of a spirit-led leader:
1. Displays a continuous flow of gratitude – A grateful leader expresses thanks as a matter of flow. It is not a once-in-a-while thing. Gratitude flows easily because the leader lives in contentment.
2. Believes the best in people and knows there is a reasonable explanation for unusual behavior in others.
3. Welcomes healthy relationships – displays love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness and self-control. A spirit-led leader regularly displays the fruits of the spirit.
4. Displays a teachable spirit – Humility is displayed in a spirit-led leader by how they remain open to teaching. They are avid readers and can learn from anyone at any time without prejudice.
5. Walks by faith – Evidence of things seen doesn't rattle a spirit-led leader. He knows with an inner peace that God is in control of every situation.
6. Considers the opinions of others but tests and considers the leading of the Holy Spirit above the opinions of man.
7. The name of Jesus is forever on his lips – This leader speaks of the Lord throughout his day. He gives glory to God in his speech and is quick to invoke the name of Jesus in any environment.
People want to be around a spirit-led leader because of what they hear about themselves. A godly leader inspires others to come up higher. The words of a leader give life to hearers. His words aren't meant to tickle the ears of hearers but rather to exhort, correct, encourage and build up.
A spirit-led leader is single-minded about his love for his team.
"For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. To be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace" (Rom. 8:5-6).
Platform Tip No. 50
How easy do you make it for people to access you and your content? Scarcity is not a virtue for a message.
Without frequency, any message is quickly forgotten.
Be easy to find and keep showing up.
Do you want to learn more about developing your personal platform?
Send for my free series of lessons titled, "The Fundamentals of Creating, Curating and Developing Content for Multiple Platforms." Send your request to: email@example.com.
We will not share your email address with anyone.
Dr. Steve Greene is the publisher and executive vice president of the media group at Charisma Media and executive producer of the Charisma Podcast Network. His book, Love Leads: The Spiritual Connection Between Your Relationships and Productivity, is now available.
Leaders, Dr. Greene wants to help you understand the spiritual connection between relationships and productivity. Read his new blog, Love Leads.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Steve Greene is now sharing stories, teachings, and conversations with guests who lead with love on Love Leads, a new podcast. Listen now.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. Enroll in the FREE Mini-Course to experience Dr. Rutland's training for yourself and then enroll for the full training that will change your life and ministry.
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.
NICL Training offered in FL, TX and GA - Learn everything you wish someone had taught you about business and ministry before you finished seminary. Gain the knowledge that will help propel your life and ministry to the next level as you implement practical lessons from Dr. Rutland's training. Training Dates and Details.
The NICL Online is a brand new option for those church and ministry leaders who cannot attend the in-person training. Now, you can receive all 60-hours of Dr. Rutland's training from the comfort of your home or ministry for a full year. Learn more about NICL Online.