Perhaps your church is blessed to have business leaders attend your services. You are gifted to lead business leaders to the kingdom of God. But do you know how to help their businesses?
Bringing the Lord into a business is not much different than bringing Him into a home. We need to be attentive to the individual first. When a leader is radically saved, his impact at home and work should show the first display of fruit.
I've met business owners who were able to work out their salvation at home but not in the workplace. The connection between the workplace and the kingdom was never really established. In my experience, the church as a whole is weak in teaching about the Holy Spirit within the marketplace.
Church leaders have a critical role in the establishment of the kingdom of God in the marketplace.
I encourage you to read this story about my friend Ted Robertson who owns the highly successful Robertson Tire chain in Oklahoma. This is a good starting point for understanding how a business owner can impact as many or more souls than a local pastor. I will share other related stories throughout this week.
(Do you have a story to share about a local business owner? Please send me an email: firstname.lastname@example.org.)
Today, I simply want to share a few first steps leaders should be making to engage business owners:
1. Visit the business. Get to know the business and the work. Ask God for spiritual understanding about the inner workings of the business. While in the business, pray for favor on behalf of the business. Just as with home visits, pray that the Holy Spirit will be "welcome in this place."
2. Don't ask for money. Leave this to the Lord. I've spoken with MANY business owners who feel the church is only interested in their money. Along the way, someone has communicated that the role of a business leader is to fund church capital projects. Love the leader and his business.
3. Engage the leader. Business leaders are frequently very good team leaders. Ask the leader to serve in an area in which you need a strong team leader. Listen to their ideas. Good business leaders have a good eye for growth opportunities.
4. Accept the challenge. Business leaders will likely challenge areas of observed weakness. They will tell you about your parking lot, bathrooms or child care problems. Business owners will see weaknesses and make suggestions. I've never been challenged by a business leader on spiritual matters.
5. Lead the leader to walk in the Spirit. Perhaps this is the most difficult challenge in leading business leaders. Our job is to teach leaders to walk by faith and not focus upon things seen. The practical side of a business leader can be quite fleshly. Teach and model.
A Spirit-led business can change the marketplace. When we invite the Holy Spirit into a business, we can expect to see and hear by the inspiration of God. The vision of the business will likely be altered to come into alignment with God's purpose for the business.
How could your local community be impacted by Spirit-led business owners?
Does your platform reach business owners?
P.S. Do you subscribe to Ministry Today? Will you please consider doing it?
With the link below you will receive my special publisher's offer. Our baseline subscription is $24.97. My offer to you is a one-year subscription (6 issues) for $10.00.
I'd like to know what you think of Ministry Today and would love to hear from you.
Please click here today for the Dr. Greene special.
"The first came, saying, 'Master, your pound has made ten pounds more.' He said to him, 'Well done, good servant! Because you have been faithful in very little, take authority over ten cities.' The second came, saying, 'Master, your pound has made five pounds more.' He said in like manner to him, 'You, take authority over five cities.'" (Luke 19:16-19).
Platform Tip No. 83
You have probably experienced the "ceiling of complexity."
This is the phrase that describes your feeling that growth has ceased and no matter what you do, you can't get past the overhanging ceiling. Busting ceilings causes headaches!
If the ceiling of complexity is a malaise you are too familiar with, your platform is probably stale. Perhaps you haven't been clear with your message. It's more likely, however, that you just don't show up in enough places, enough times.
A platform is where you show up day after day after day.
I know of leaders who develop a new platform and show up for a couple weeks and quit because they are "too busy."
Today, they have a headache.
Do you want to learn more about developing your personal platform?
Send for my free series of lessons titled, "The Fundamentals of Creating, Curating and Developing Content for Multiple Platforms." Send your request to: email@example.com.
This is an exclusive offer to Ministry Today and "Greenelines" readers.
We will not share your email address with anyone.
Dr. Steve Greene is the publisher and executive vice president of the media group at Charisma Media and executive producer of the Charisma Podcast Network. His book, Love Leads: The Spiritual Connection Between Your Relationships and Productivity, is now available.
Leaders, Dr. Greene wants to help you understand the spiritual connection between relationships and productivity. Read his new blog, here.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Steve Greene is now sharing stories, teachings, and conversations with guests who lead with love on Love Leads, a new podcast. Listen now.
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.