Yesterday we considered the importance of a Leadership Development Program for every organization. The key takeaway from the article is that we should focus on "first who, then what."
Today, let's think about the content of an LDP. What is the proper curriculum for training leaders? A broad guideline for program content should focus on core competencies, character, and time management.
Every organization will have an approach to these topics based on their culture. Training should be specific rather than theoretical. Classrooms and seminars are the places to deliver broad-based "leaders should" training. The LDP should be designed to create effective leaders within the host organization.
Five tips for content development of your LDP:
1. Who are the model leaders within the organization? Make sure that candidates for leadership spend time with the right people. Think in terms of months rather than meetings.
Effective leadership transfers through modeling.
2. Does the candidate have knowledge of the inner workings of every department in the organization? Create a rotation cycle in the LDP. Decide how much time a trainee should spend in each department. Think months over minutes.
Leadership training is not a spectator sport.
3. Does your company have a required reading list? (Send an email to email@example.com if you would like to see my personal list.) Your LDP should engage trainees through reading.
Leaders are readers.
4. Do you have a formal Human Resource training program? Be sure to include formal HR training in the LDP. Leaders need to understand the legal ramifications of every word they speak and every action they take. Recruiting, selecting and hiring are key functions of a leader that require specific training in legal matters.
Leaders know the law.
5. Does your organization have weekly training events? Trainees should cycle through the delivery of key training seminars. The future leader must develop advanced speaking skills, and a best practice is to train the trainer through active teaching.
Leaders must show and tell.
The Leadership Development Program should produce future leaders who know, "this is how we do things here." But on a much grander scale, the leader must be encouraged to improve skills as a writer, speaker, and thinker. Strategic thinking is the lifeblood of leadership.
Leadership training is a process, not an event.
"Jesus went throughout all Galilee teaching in their synagogues, preaching the gospel of the kingdom, and healing all kinds of sickness and all sorts of diseases among the people" (Matt. 4:23).
Dr. Steve Greene is the publisher and executive vice president of the media group at Charisma Media and executive producer of the Charisma Podcast Network. His book, Love Leads: The Spiritual Connection Between Your Relationships and Productivity, is now available.
Leaders, Dr. Greene wants to help you understand the spiritual connection between relationships and productivity. Read his new blog, here.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Steve Greene is now sharing stories, teachings, and conversations with guests who lead with love on Love Leads, a new podcast. Listen now.
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.