Dr. Steve Greene is now sharing stories, teachings, and conversations with guests who lead with love on Love Leads, a new podcast. Listen now.
I have always strived to be a delegator. I know I’ve written posts on it before—how to do it successfully and that kind of garbage.
But that’s before I knew the skinny on delegation. So, that’s it. I’m done. No more delegation for me.
I’m dumping delegation for good. Here’s what I discovered.
7 Problems With Delegation
1. I might appear to be doing less. Everyone knows I’m the leader. What will they think if I’m not the one doing everything?
2. I will lose authority. Delegation—done right at least—means I give up the right to control. Does that even need an explanation? Seriously?
3. I will still have to be available. Supposedly you aren’t supposed to dump and run with delegation. So if I’m going to be involved anyway, I might as well do it. Duh.
4. Someone might not do things the way I would. And you know my way is best.
5. It might get done faster and better. Faster is one thing—but better? Who’s got time for that? And then what am I going to do with the extra time on my hands?
6. It might expose or grow a new leader. How threatening!
7. Someone else might get credit. My credit!
Do you see why I’m dropping delegation from my leadership toolbox? Brilliant, I say.
What say you? What problems have you discovered with delegation? Ahh ... never mind. I’ll answer myself.
(For those who struggle with a weird sense of humor like mine, or for the extremely literal among us, here’s the disclaimer you’re looking for. Is this enough? Hope so, because I’ve technically delegated clarifications of my posts to someone on our team. And I think they’re off today.)
Ron Edmondson is a pastor at Immanuel Baptist Church in Lexington, Ky. He is also a church leadership consultant who is passionate about planting churches, helping established churches thrive and assisting pastors and those in ministry think through leadership, strategy and life. Prior to ministry, Ron had more than 20 years of business experience, mostly as a self-employed business owner. Follow Ron on Facebook, Twitter, and his blog at ronedmondson.com.
For the original article, visit ronedmondson.com.
Improve your life and ministry by learning something new. Our Ministry Leadership Bundle includes 3 Books: Amplified Leadership, Breaking Intimidation and The Power of Humility. View Offer!
Get our BEST DEAL on Ministry Today magazine. Get a full year for only $12! Yes-I want this deal.