With the resumption of college coming up, it's time for a few ideas about finances.
- Community colleges are cheaper and better than the first two years at a four-year school. Stay home, and the only college experience you'll miss is the student debt trap experience.
- Avoid colleges that market their recreational facilities. You'll be paying for them for the rest of your life.
- Most students can get scholarships and grants which do not have to be repaid. Only suckers pay the sticker price.
- Make sure your college major can lead to a good job. Some majors, like history, are more fun as a hobby you can enjoy with the money you make from a real job.
- Work all you can to minimize your student debt. It seldom hurts your GPA.
- Student lenders have super creditor rights which override normal borrower protections. Be sure you understand what you are signing up for.
- Because of the harsh student debt laws, there is now some movement to help the unemployed and underemployed debtors. Keep up with those programs if you are struggling to pay your debt.
- Don't wait for the government to solve the student debt mess. They created it. It's up to you to take control of your financial life.
- Some student borrowers are delaying marriage and home purchases to get out of debt. Remember Abraham Lincoln, who built his life before he paid his debt and thereby achieved his destiny.
- It is our experience that there is a path out of financial bondage for everyone. Just don't quit looking.
- The American Dream is not dead, and you can overcome your setbacks to achieve it. Don't lose hope.
Don't let the greedy universities and student lenders keep you from achieving your destiny.
Ron Allen is a Christian businessman, CPA and author who serves in local, national and international ministries spreading a message of reconciliation to God, to men and between believers. He is founder of the International Star Bible Society, telling how the heavens declare the glory of God, and the Emancipation Network, which helps people escape from financial bondage, and co-founder with his wife, Pat, of Corporate Prayer Resources, dedicated to helping intercessors.
Improve your life and ministry by learning something new. Our Ministry Leadership Bundle includes 3 Books: Amplified Leadership, Breaking Intimidation and The Power of Humility. View Offer!
Get our BEST DEAL on Ministry Today magazine. Get a full year for only $12! Yes-I want this deal.