5. Finally, Moses laid his hands on Joshua and commissioned him to lead the nation (Num. 27:23; Deut. 34:9). He set Joshua on a course that would define his future in ministry.
When I left a certain position in 2006 not knowing the details of my future, an elderly pastor friend laid hands on me and prayed for God to use me in venues that might surprise me. I have returned twice in the past eight years to have pastor Ellen Blackwell lay hands on me. Sometimes you feel like you need a second and third dose. She just celebrated her 100th birthday and is talking about a vision for the next 20 years. Amazing! Wherever I minister, I feel the blessing of those 100-year-old hands.
May I be bold and ask for an army of leaders (especially those west of age 50) to pick up the mantle of being a mentor/father to anyone willing to meet with you? And may I invite all those who are younger and hungry to be nurtured to actively seek out a mentor/father? My prayer is that there may be an anointing in our hearts for mentoring until a number too large to count are being influenced by the Moses/Joshua principles.
Toward that end, here are some suggestions:
1. Invite younger ministers to audit board meetings.
2. If the two of you are not in driving proximity, set up a periodic phone meeting.
3. When appropriate, invite those you are mentoring to come to your home for a meal and conversation.
4. Tell your personal story in preaching so people get to know you.
5. If you are part of a ministry network, take advantage of any initiative they offer. (For example, the under-40 group in the Assemblies of God has a Facebook page and meets at national gatherings.)
6. Make it known that you are available to mentor.
7. When appropriate, include your spouse and the spouse of the person you are mentoring in meetings.
Bob Rhoden, a former pastor and district superintendent who is now an executive presbyter with the Assemblies of God, is the author of Four Faces of a Leader. He and his wife, Joan, live in Richmond, Va. You can follow him on Twitter @bob_rhoden.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.