I’ve shared thousands of words on a host of subjects on my blog, freely peppered with my life’s experiences. My primary theme, of course, has been ministerial leadership. To help make your journey along God’s plan as efficient as possible, here’s my 10-point summary of leadership principles:
1. You must desire to lead. If you’re promoted to leadership, it should be because you want to lead. The desire to be a leader is nothing to be ashamed of, but the key is that your desire to lead should be married to your desire to be used by God. When you manifest that combination, you’re not driven by ego but by altruism.
2. Leadership requires vision. Leaders see what other people may not see.
3. Leadership requires communication. If you are going to be a leader, you have to be able to communicate, and you have to know what to communicate.
4. Leadership takes risks. You can’t plant yourself safely behind a desk. You need to wrestle in the arena of your organization’s activity.
5. Since leadership flows from a concern for those being led, relationships are vital.
6. Leadership is a balance between initiation and response.
7. Leadership rebounds from failure and loss. Anyone who has been in leadership has taken some pretty severe hits. But you must get back up off the floor and keep pushing ahead.
8. Leadership upholds and operates on the strength of godly principles.
9. Leadership differentiates between negotiable and non-negotiable courses of action.
10. Leadership serves from love, not from power. God-ordained leadership upends the world’s triangular model of personal advancement. People of the world try to work their way to the top of the triangle, to the place of power over the subservient masses. Godly leaders serve their way to the bottom. You try to get underneath everyone else to live out Christ’s pronouncement, “If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all” (Mark 9:35).
As leaders, we are involved in the sovereign work of God. We choose to serve, and He uses us according to His plan.
George O. Wood is general superintendent of the Assemblies of God. For the original article, visit georgeowood.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Steve Greene is now sharing stories, teachings, and conversations with guests who lead with love on Love Leads, a new podcast. Listen now.
Help Charisma stay strong for years to come as we report on life in the Spirit. Become an integral part of Charisma’s work by joining Charisma Media Partners. Click here to keep us strong!
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. Enroll in the FREE Mini-Course to experience Dr. Rutland's training for yourself and then enroll for the full training that will change your life and ministry.
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.
NICL Training offered in FL, TX and GA - Learn everything you wish someone had taught you about business and ministry before you finished seminary. Gain the knowledge that will help propel your life and ministry to the next level as you implement practical lessons from Dr. Rutland's training. Training Dates and Details.
The NICL Online is a brand new option for those church and ministry leaders who cannot attend the in-person training. Now, you can receive all 60-hours of Dr. Rutland's training from the comfort of your home or ministry for a full year. Learn more about NICL Online.