I believe the closer I get to God, the better I will lead.
It's easier to "die to self" when I remain near the cross. When I drift into being busy and "getting stuff done," I begin to lose the heart of a servant. Before long I'm singing a new song: "It's all about me; yes, it's all about me."
In the midst of those times, it's hard for anyone to tell me I am leading myself and no one else. I may be managing others, but the servant-leader is out for a nap.
When I awake from such a slumber, I want to find the cross. I want to break my serving hiatus and lead others the way God expects me to lead.
I know I'm serving as a love-driven leader when:
- I am transparent; I have nothing to hide.
- I have nothing to prove because God gives me confidence and removes my insecurities.
- I don't fear man or losing anything because I know the Lord is my provider, and I'm free to serve Him.
- I don't want anything. My needs are met, and I want time to be alone with God.
- I inspire others. It's highly unlikely that I could ever inspire anyone while being self-serving. Self-serving leadership is accompanied by a distinct odor.
- I don't need to be right because I know the truth always appears. Light reveals what is hidden in the dark.
- I don't have to be heard because my actions tell the best story. I know that everything I do should point to the cross.
The popular worship song "The Heart of Worship" points to Jesus. Leading well is a form of worship.
As we honor God with prayer and Bible study, we open our ears to hear how the Lord would have us lead with love.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. Enroll in the FREE Mini-Course to experience Dr. Rutland's training for yourself and then enroll for the full training that will change your life and ministry.
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.
NICL Training offered in FL, TX and GA - Learn everything you wish someone had taught you about business and ministry before you finished seminary. Gain the knowledge that will help propel your life and ministry to the next level as you implement practical lessons from Dr. Rutland's training. Training Dates and Details.
The NICL Online is a brand new option for those church and ministry leaders who cannot attend the in-person training. Now, you can receive all 60-hours of Dr. Rutland's training from the comfort of your home or ministry for a full year. Learn more about NICL Online.