Olan Hendrix once said, “Strategic thinking is like showering; you have to keep doing it.” Many churches are intentional about setting short and long-term goals. Unfortunately, because there is no ongoing process, they quickly get stuck and revert back to previous ways of thinking once goals are accomplished.
Strategic Operating Plans guide teams to clarify their mission, vision and core strategies—and then create the right structure and accountability to realize it through prioritized action initiatives. The process is a continual circle because strategic thinking must always be ongoing.
The May edition of Fast Company recently featured an article by Danielle Sacks that really demonstrates the importance of strategic planning.
- Perspective: Where are we now? – In 2003, the company found themselves in financial distress, they were no longer a force in the fashion industry. Their turnaround began when they admitted that they were stuck. They had to come to an understanding of how they got to where they were.
- Planning: Where are we headed? – The company decided that they had to return to designing distinctive clothing. They wanted to develop a coherent brand that would drive business forward.
- Action: What’s important now? – J. Crew quickly determined that actions steps needed to be taken to improve communication between stylist and merchandisers. They also realized that every piece of the creative organization—from retail to catalog to web—had to be unified. (Sounds really similar to eliminating ministry silos).
- Structure: What form best facilitates our plan? – The company hired Millard Drexler in 2003 and later made Jenna Lyons president. The two key leaders worked together to form a structure that supported their core plan.
- Management: How are we doing? – Annual revenue has tripled since 2003 and specific goals have been accomplished. The company returned to designing distinctive clothing and they are clearly unstuck.
- Renewal: What must change? – The company now constantly adjusts their product lines, tries new ideas, assesses and quickly terminates anything that doesn’t work. Their strategic planning has created a company of constant experimentation, iteration and adaption.
How are you doing when it comes to strategic planning? Our StratOp process will provide you with a three-day on-site visit that will help you lead and manage your church as a system comprised of multiple programs, ministries and functions.
Tony Morgan is the chief strategic officer and founder of TonyMorganLive.com. He’s a consultant, leadership coach and writer who helps churches get unstuck and have a bigger impact. For 14 years, Tony served on the senior leadership teams at West Ridge Church (Dallas, Ga.), NewSpring Church (Anderson, S.C.) and Granger Community Church (Granger, Ind.). With Tim Stevens, Tony has co-authored Simply Strategic Stuff, Simply Strategic Volunteers and Simply Strategic Growth—each of which offers valuable, practical solutions for different aspects of church ministry. His book Killing Cockroaches (B&H Publishing) challenges leaders to focus on the priorities in life and ministry.
For the original article, visit tonymorganlive.com.
Get Spirit-filled content delivered right to your inbox! Click here to subscribe to our newsletter.
Dr. Mark Rutland's
National Institute of Christian Leadership (NICL)
The NICL is one of the top leadership training programs in the U.S. taught by Dr. Mark Rutland. If you're the type of leader that likes to have total control over every aspect of your ministry and your future success, the NICL is right for you!
FREE NICL MINI-COURSE - Enroll for 3-hours of training from Dr. Rutland's full leadership course. Experience the NICL and decide if this training is right for you and your team.Do you feel stuck? Do you feel like you’re not growing? Do you need help from an expert in leadership? There is no other leadership training like the NICL. Gain the leadership skills and confidence you need to lead your church, business or ministry. Get ready to accomplish all of your God-given dreams. CLICK HERE for NICL training dates and details.
The NICL Online is an option for any leader with time or schedule constraints. It's also for leaders who want to expedite their training to receive advanced standing for Master Level credit hours. Work through Dr. Rutland's full training from the comfort of your home or ministry at your pace. Learn more about NICL Online. Learn more about NICL Online.