A few weeks ago, my oldest son, William, preached a sermon at Bethel's Wednesday night service on the importance of church community.
He opened with this quote from German theologian Dietrich Bonhoeffer (1906–1945):
"Christian brotherhood is not an ideal which we must realize; it is rather a reality created by God in Christ in which we may participate" [from Life Together (1939)].
The main idea behind Bonhoeffer's quote is that Christian community is not about warm feelings—it's about active engagement. I often hear people say they don't feel like their church is creating authentic community.
The truth is: It doesn't really matter.
Because our job is not to create authentic community. Our job is to participate in it. If you see the creation of authentic Christian community as the church's responsibility, you'll constantly be disappointed in your pastor or your church or even yourself. But if we see Christian community as an eternal spiritual reality—created and sustained by God in Christ—then we will be freed to love and serve and forgive even when we don't feel like it.
So how do we participate in Christian community?
The answer may be disappointingly obvious. Ask yourself the following questions:
- Do I regularly attend weekly worship gatherings—or do other weekend activities take priority?
- Do I faithfully tithe to my local church—or do I hold back in giving because I have an issue with the new building program?
- Do I actively participate in weekly small group discipleship—or do I complain that my church feels too big?
- Do I willingly serve at my church—or do I come only to get fed?
- Do I thank God for my local church family—or do I fantasize about finding a better, more "authentic" church community?
Like our natural families, spiritual family is real whether we feel it or not—and whether we like everyone or not. We don't have to create it. God already did that.
All we have to do is engage.
Steve Murrell serves as the president of Every Nation Churches and Ministries, a ministry that does church planting and campus ministry in over 70 nations.
For the original article, visit stevemurrell.com.
Leaders are readers! Subscribe now and get 3 magazines for the price of 1. Get Ministry Today, Charisma and SpiritLed Woman all for $24. YES - I'm a leader!
Ministry Today Subscription Special - Subscribe to Ministry Today magazine today and get 12 issues (2 full years) plus Amplified Leadership, a free leadership book for only $24.