We all are familiar with the 10 Commandments; so I thought I’d have some fun and create a version for leading church volunteers.
I also have a set for how to be an all-star volunteer. Stay tuned for that one.
Check these out for happy and faithful volunteers:
- Thou shalt plan ahead and ask volunteers to sign up early for special events.
- Thou shalt have all supplies and equipment ready for church beautification projects.
- Thou shalt not change instructions at the last minute (at least not often!).
- Thou shalt train all volunteers and provide clear expectations.
- Thou shalt run background checks on anyone applying to serve with children under 18.
- Thou shalt not announce a significant change and expect volunteers to implement it that very moment.
- Thou shalt be well known for appreciating your volunteers and having fun.
- Thou shalt cultivate leaders on your volunteer teams so you can delegate responsibility to them and not try to do everything yourself.
- Thou shalt provide documentation including detailed descriptions of what success looks like for each volunteer role.
- Thou shalt communicate a compelling vision for why people should volunteer and how they too will benefit from the experience.
Bonus Commandment for extra-happy volunteers: Thou shalt ensure that coffee is abundantly supplied (especially for the early service crew!).
What would you add to this list?
Deborah Wipf has a heart for ministry with a head for business. As the president & founder of Velocity Ministry Management, Deborah serves ministry leaders by helping them to achieve their God-inspired vision without burning out themselves, their staff, or volunteers. She provides a variety of ministry consulting services based on her experiences in the corporate world and as a church volunteer. Connect with Deborah at velocityministrymanagement.com and on Twitter (@DeborahWipf).
For the original article, visit pastors.com.
For a limited time, we are extending our celebration of our 40th anniversary. As a special offer, subscribe to Ministry Today magazine and receive 50% OFF our normal discounted rate!