During my coaching networks and ministry health assessments, I frequently spend time checking out church websites. While evaluating the sites, I’ve noticed many pastors and ministry leaders are writing blogs.
Honestly, some of the blogs seem stuck.
I’ve noticed many people start out strong, with a desire to inform, inspire and interact with their church and the people they're trying to reach. But the blog eventually becomes outdated, boring and non-applicable to people’s lives.
Tim Ferriss once shared a presentation at the San Francisco WordCamp called “How to Build a High-Traffic Blog Without Killing Yourself.” I know you may be too busy to check out the entire video, so I thought it would be helpful to share some highlights of the presentation. I included the key thoughts that specifically have to do with your content.
11 Keys to Creating Better Content on Your Blog
- Learn from readers while sharing information with others.
- Pull people into being more than one-time visitors to your site.
- The important thing is not being a great writer; it's having a voice.
- Write about what you are passionate about.
- Never attack other people on your blog; it attracts readers you don’t want. Write about problems, not people.
- When you edit a post, try to remove 20 percent of the content.
- Short is good when it comes to using videos in posts.
- Text stays around longer than video.
- Chasing the news is boring. If you don’t have fun, your audience won’t either.
- Read and respond to comments; gems are hiding within them.
- Don’t allow your blog to be a source of stress; use it to have fun.
Have people stopped reading your blog? Have you stopped writing? Hopefully today’s post will help you get your blog unstuck.
Tony Morgan is the chief strategic officer and founder of TonyMorganLive.com. He’s a consultant, leadership coach and writer who helps churches get unstuck and have a bigger impact. For 14 years, Tony served on the senior leadership teams at West Ridge Church (Dallas, Ga.), NewSpring Church (Anderson, S.C.) and Granger Community Church (Granger, Ind.). With Tim Stevens, Tony has co-authored Simply Strategic Stuff, Simply Strategic Volunteers and Simply Strategic Growth—each of which offers valuable, practical solutions for different aspects of church ministry. His book Killing Cockroaches (B&H Publishing) challenges leaders to focus on the priorities in life and ministry.
For the original article, visit tonymorganlive.com.
3 Reasons Why you should read Life in the Spirit. 1) Get to know the Holy Spirit. 2) Learn to enter God's presence 3) Hear God's voice clearly! Go deeper!
What are you doing to actively grow your ministry in the power of the Holy Spirit? When people catch on fire for God, there's no telling what you can accomplish. Life in the Spirit is a teaching series designed to move people from the back row to the front lines. Order this Spirit-filled resource Let God work in your ministry.