A transformed children’s ministry comes from transformational leadership. Transformational leadership is when a leader raises team members to higher levels of motivation and effectiveness.
Transformational leaders create an inspiring vision. An inspiring vision comes from:
- Clarifying your purpose—why you do what you do
- Core values that the team will be committed to
- Creating a picture of what can be
- Communicating the vision
Transformational leaders motivate people to buy in and own the vision:
- Talk about the vision often—remember, vision leaks.
- Tell the stories of kids and families who are being impacted by the vision.
- Teamwork—show people the part they play in making the vision a reality.
- Thank people on the team—encourage them, praise them, appreciate them.
Transformational leaders develop plans to make the vision a reality. They take the next step and deliver the vision:
- Lead through changes that need to be made.
- Lay out goals that will take you to the vision.
- Let people see your commitment and persistence to overcome difficulties and roadblocks.
Transformational leaders build ever-stronger, trust-based relationships:
- Find out your team members’ personalities, love languages, developmental needs and goals.
- Focus on helping them grow, meet their goals and achieve their dreams.
- Feedback—create a culture where feedback is not only received but asked for.
- Face-to-face, personal time with your team members.
In conclusion, everything rises and falls on leadership. The natural overflow of transformational leadership is a transformed children’s ministry.
Dale Hudson has served in children and family ministry for over 24 years. He is the director of children’s ministries at Christ Fellowship Church in Palm Beach, Fla. He was recently named one of the top 20 influencers in children’s ministry. He is the co-author of four ministry books, including Turbocharged: 100 Simple Secrets to Successful Children’s Ministry. Visit Dale at relevantchildrensministry.com.
For the original article, visit relevantchildrensministry.com.
Ministry Today Subscription Special - Subscribe to Ministry Today magazine today and get 12 issues (2 full years) plus Amplified Leadership, a free leadership book for only $24.
Order Life in the Spirit to actively grow your ministry in the power of the Holy Spirit. Your congregation will stay saturated in God's Word, learn to hear His voice, understand their purpose and calling and move into an active role in your ministry.