Dr. Steve Greene is now sharing his reflections and practical insights as a ministry leader on Greenelines, a new podcast. Listen at charismapodcastnetwork.com.
This week during one of my quiet times with God, I read this verse, and a word jumped out at me.
"The meek also shall increase their joy in the Lord, and the poor among men shall rejoice in the Holy One of Israel" (Is. 29:19).
I don't like stale bread or any other kind of stale food. And I'm sure you don't either. There's no comparison between stale bread and fresh bread, is there? Don't you love the smell of fresh bread baking in the oven? Or the taste of fresh, hot rolls with butter dripping down the sides. Why settle for stale bread when you can have fresh bread?
I wonder how many times we settle for stale ministry? A stale relationship with God? A stale vision? A stale program? A stale event? A stale service?
Here are some signs your ministry is stale:
- You talk more about what God has done than what He is doing.
- Attendance is waning.
- You are doing it simply because it's what you've always done.
- People yawn at the vision.
- The baptistery is collecting dust.
- Bible reading is something you endure rather than enjoy.
- The past is dictating the future.
- Volunteers are serving out of duty rather than delight.
- Few, if any, tears for the lost are seen.
- Smiles and laughter in the hallways are rare.
- You sense yourself just going through the motions.
- No one wants to leave their comfort zone.
We don't have to settle for stale. God wants to give us fresh joy! Fresh ministry! Fresh passion! Fresh vision! Fresh anointing! Fresh spiritual food!
He's already got it baking in the oven for you. He's just waiting for you to ask for it.
This article originally appeared on relevantchildrensministry.com.
Leaders are readers! Subscribe now and get 3 magazines for the price of 1. Get Ministry Today, Charisma and SpiritLed Woman all for $24. YES - I'm a leader!
Ministry Today Subscription Special - Subscribe to Ministry Today magazine today and get 12 issues (2 full years) plus Amplified Leadership, a free leadership book for only $24.