Dr. Steve Greene is now sharing his reflections and practical insights as a ministry leader on Greenelines, a new podcast. Listen at charismapodcastnetwork.com.
The majority of Christendom has no idea what it’s like to be a pastor. Pastors think a lot about the words they use, and about the words they hope others will use.
I figure David Letterman would never get around to this, so I’ve developed the list. In case you’ve ever wondered, here are some of the words pastors dream about hearing.
Some of them are tongue-in-cheek; others are straight from the heart. I’m sure you can improve the list (Post yours below).
10. “Last week, we read that the pastor who preaches and teaches is worthy of double honor, so we’re doubling your salary.”
9. “We’ve funded a line item to send your kids to college. There’s enough for each of them to attend Harvard. While we were at it, we’re paying for your doctorate—and for your wife to get her Master’s degree.”
8. “The President’s secretary called. He wants you to do the Invocation for his inauguration. He told me he thinks you’re the next Rick Warren.”
7. “Look Pastor! Charisma Magazine put you on their cover this month!”
6. “Zondervan just called. They want to make your latest sermon series into a book. They’re pretty sure it will be a best-seller.”
5. “Pastor, your sermon last Sunday was better than Billy Graham.”
4. “You’re the godliest man I know.”
3. “We think you’ve earned a six-month sabbatical. The first three months will be in Hawaii. We hope you’ll use the other three months to write a book—which we’ll make sure gets published. We know you’ll be hard to replace in the pulpit, so we’ve convinced Chuck Swindoll to fill in while you’re away.”
2. “Every member of my family has come to Christ now, thanks to you.”
1. “Well done, good and faithful servant.”
Hal Seed is the founding pastor of New Song Church in Oceanside, Calif. He is currently encouraging churches to launch a Bible Reading Revolution in their churches and cities. Find out how to participate at www.pastormentor.com.
For the original article, visit pastormentor.com.
Has God called you to be a leader? Ministry Today magazine is the source that Christian leaders who want to serve with passion and purpose turn to. Subscribe now and receive a free leadership book.
What are you doing to actively reach new people? From blogging and social media to podcasting and book publishing, the On Platform Seminar will teach you how to expand your reach by using new platforms as launching pads into larger audiences. Click Here.