Below you will find what I believe to be 20 very important, if not the most important, things you should know about your church. Keep in mind these are things to measure about your church as an organization. (This is not the top things to measure in terms of individual spiritual formation.)
I have told pastors for a long time I wouldn’t consider pastoring again unless I had the congregation’s commitment to measure these 20 things every two years.
But first, the backstory. For the last 12 years, the Auxano team has developed, used and refined a survey designed completely around the culture, vision and strategic midterm decision-making priorities of the church. I have led this process by turning over and inside out every possible church survey I could find. After about five years, I felt like we had a good template to start with as we helped local churches with their specific needs and challenges.
We have never advertised, and I have never even blogged about this product. Why? Despite its incredible benefit to our church clients, we did not have the capacity to offer the service to churches unless they were engaged in our core experience, called the Vision Pathway.
The desire to bring this to more churches eventually led me to LifeWay Research. We have worked with them over the past year to bring the best survey to local churches that has ever been designed for your local church.
Here is what we measure:
1. Percent of new attenders in prior two years
2. Guest percentage
3. Profile of new attenders and guests, including reason for attending
4. Age of the church versus age of the community
5. Age of the church versus age of new attenders in the prior two years
6. Spiritual growth satisfaction
7. Sense of connection to the church
8. Giving patterns
9. Adult conversion percentage
10. Influence of ministries
11. Group assimilation percentage
12. Group assimilation obstacle identification
13. Assimilation rate for groups and membership (if applicable)
14. Serving assimilation percentage
15. Serving assimilation obstacles
16. Invitation activity
17. Invitation obstacles
18. Total assimilation percentages
19. Strategic direction question cluster one
20. Strategic direction question cluster two
Will Mancini emerged from the trenches of local church leadership to found Auxano, a first-of-kind consulting ministry that focuses on vision clarity. As a “clarity evangelist,” Will has served as vision architect for hundreds of churches across the country, including the leading churches within Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, Lutheran and nondenominational settings.
For the original article, visit pastors.com.
Ministry Today Subscription Special - Subscribe to Ministry Today magazine today and get 12 issues (2 full years) plus Amplified Leadership, a free leadership book for only $24.
Order Life in the Spirit to actively grow your ministry in the power of the Holy Spirit. Your congregation will stay saturated in God's Word, learn to hear His voice, understand their purpose and calling and move into an active role in your ministry.