If you'd like to hear Greenelines on audio, please visit charismapodcastnetwork.com. You might also find a few other Christian podcasts of interest.
I want to hear His still small voice.
I think most of us wake up in the morning with a strong desire to hear God's voice. Perhaps we actively seek His voice throughout the day.
Yesterday, I spent over an hour with Jennifer LeClaire, our excellent editor of Charisma magazine. We are working on a story together and the Holy Spirit joined our call.
I remember one segment of our chat very clearly. We were discussing the demand on leaders to quiet their space long enough to hear God's voice. We lead in an environment of distractions emanating from smartphones, email, meetings and assorted other noise makers.
We shifted our focus to the home. As leaders in our homes, do we demonstrate an effort to hear the Lord? Then, do we take intentional action to hear our children? Do we listen to their small voices?
I'm provoked to ask a similar question of marketers.
"Do you listen to the voice of your customers?"
The best consultants I've ever met are our customers. Listening is an intentional act. Do you have a "How to Listen" manual for everyone on your team?
1. Set standards. Define who, when and how often your organization should listen to customers.
2. Create listening posts. At every point of contact with a customer, establish a method for feedback.
3. Schedule monthly meetings. Review all feedback. Where is the truth in what customers are saying? If you have people in the room who complain about what customers are saying, throw the bad listener out of the meeting. We don't need defensive listeners because they are NOT listening.
4. Codify feedback. Keep records over time. Keep score. What did you hear and when did you hear it?
5. Do something about it. What is the takeaway that should lead to action?
Better marketing begins in silence.
Dr. Steve Greene is the publisher and executive vice president–Media Group, Charisma Media. Sign up here for Dr. Greene's leadership e-newsletter.
Leaders are readers! Subscribe now and get 3 magazines for the price of 1. Get Ministry Today, Charisma and SpiritLed Woman all for $24. YES - I'm a leader!
Ministry Today Subscription Special - Subscribe to Ministry Today magazine today and get 12 issues (2 full years) plus Amplified Leadership, a free leadership book for only $24.